Question about feed delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkelso

Is there a way that i can increase the delay from broadcast to the listener? I would like a 2 minute or more delay for reasons of safety.

Thanks

At least on my feed there already is a delay of a minute or so from when I hear it on my scanner to when it comes over the Radioreference feed.

I am not sure what the exact cause is. I am guessing processing plus network latencies.

I have had listeners ask and complain about it.

I tell my listeners to think of it as a "feature", because with scanner by the time you hear the sirens it's already too late.

But with the inherent delay when you hear sirens you have a chance to start the feed and hear the call.

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I can't stand the delay, if I have the scanner audio on I think the feed isn't working then quite some time later the audio comes from RR. I can almost post what is happening online before the audio comes out on RR for incidents if I am here in the ham shack.

I can't stand the delay, if I have the scanner audio on I think the feed isn't working then quite some time later the audio comes from RR. I can almost post what is happening online before the audio comes out on RR for incidents if I am here in the ham shack.

I hate it too, but have looked into it and the only solution I can imagine is a hugely overpowered PC that can process the audio and send it to RR with minimal delay.

Frankly it's not worth it to me as I have dedicated a PC for this and it is a remarkably low power setup. (about 45 Watts) Since it is running 24/7 I don't really want to waste any more power than I have to.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
It has nothing to do with the power of the PC. if you want instant audio look into the remote scanner feature of proscan.

It has nothing to do with the power of the PC. if you want instant audio look into the remote scanner feature of proscan.

Proscan only works with a small set of scanners none of which I own. :confused:

And it only runs on Windows :roll:

What is your explanation for the delay and how does the remote scaner feature of Proscan get around it?

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Proscan only works with a small set of scanners none of which I own. :confused:

???

ProScan is compatible with 13 scanner models for local control
Radio Feed is compatible with 19 scanners models for streaming with tags
Radio Feed is compatible with any scanner for streaming audio only

travisd

I don't know the specifics here, but most streaming applications build some amount of buffering in to make the stream more reliable - they cache a few seconds (5-20 typically) in a small buffer to enable them to survive quick network dropouts or lost packets. Otherwise everytime there's a hiccup, the audio would drop out.

It's certainly possible to do real-time streaming (such as most video conferencing and VoIP apps strive for) at the expense of reliability.

???

ProScan is compatible with 13 scanner models for local control
Radio Feed is compatible with 19 scanners models for streaming with tags
Radio Feed is compatible with any scanner for streaming audio only

Yeah I saw Radio Feed, but that is just another feed streamer. If you know how Radio Feed get around the inherent delays, I am all ears.

The post I was responding to mentioned a specific feature of Proscan, I did not see that feature as available in Radio Feed.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
So this is how it works. When you start streaming to rr.com it buffers your audio so if your feed drops off there is a chance if it comes back right away no one will notice. Then the client you connect with also makes it's own buffer so you don't lose audio if there is a small network issue.

The two buffers added up is what causes the delay. You cannot do anything about the rr.com server buffer unless they were to disable it on the servers but you run into soo many issues doing that. But you can on most clients turn off the buffering.

Now RR.com uses icecast for there servers and the config has this option but I have no idea what they have it set to. But what this does rather then sitting and waiting while it buffers audio on the client it sends a large burst of data at first do the client start playing right away and while you are hearing this audio it's buffering the rest of the feed.

burst-size

The burst size is the amount of data (in bytes) to burst to a client at connection time. Like burst-on-connect, this is to quickly fill the pre-buffer used by media players. The default is 64 kbytes which is a typical size used by most clients so changing it is not usually required. This setting applies to all mountpoints unless overridden in the mount settings.

I just woke up so none of this may make sense to anyone.

How Proscan works, you are directly connected to the server and it's pushing audio to the client with about a .5 sec delay most of the time.

vjscudie

In regards to Proscan having a .5 second delay, does that count from the time the call goes over the radio to the time its sent out to the client, or just from the time the feed is shown on computer to the time it gets to the client. Im trying to figure out what the delay would be from the time the call goes over the radio to the time it can get to the client... with Proscan

04Z1V6

You have very little to do with this. The "Delay" will be from the time it hits a scanner, then is sent through the computer to the network or internet service provider, then through that network of switches back to your home computer or phone network, then your software that puts this all back together so you can hear it. All of this is dependent as far as speed on weather you have fiber or copper as the phone lines in your area, and the condition of even your home phone lines. For instance: We are in a all fiber area but the individual streets have a copper backbone. After the change to fiber in the area I noticed a big improvement in network congestion and went to the highest speed access I could get, I then ran a dedicated line from my demark on the home to the modem/router in the house and noticed a huge improvement on things that I run most noticeable was my streaming video on Netflix. I did use cat5 cable because I have access to as much as I need. Don't forget webstar22's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.