Question about Glass Mount Antenna's

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
Would a glass mounted mobile antenna work on double pane glass ? I moved into an apartment recently and can not attach anything to the building. The windows are double pane with about 1/4" gap between the panes. I purchased one of those so-called "Snoop" antennas. What a waste of $$.

fineshot1

Forget it - not gonna work well or at all.

The glass mounts are designed for an inductive coupling through the glass
of automobile thickness glass. Double pain windows have too much of a gap.

hoser147

Yep I agree with Fineshot, Check out the Diamond 77 its a great antenna and you can aways figure out a way to put it up on a curtain rod or along side a window.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do you have a window a/c unit or a central air duct which leads outside? You may be able to conceal a mag mount on the top or bottom.
As mentioned,you're out of luck with a glass mount antenna.
N9ZAS

fineshot1

Would a glass mounted mobile antenna work on double pane glass ? I moved into an apartment recently and can not attach anything to the building. The windows are double pane with about 1/4" gap between the panes. I purchased one of those so-called "Snoop" antennas. What a waste of $$.

Here's an idea although not sure what bands you listen to.

Go with half wave antenna's and hang them from a curtain rod like hoser suggested.
Half wave antenna's require no ground plane and usually receive well. VHF Hi example
below. I used one of these for vhf-hi reception for many years. If possible get one for uhf
and combine them with a ham diplexer into your scanner(you did not mention the model).
You can hang them from both ends of the same curtain rod. Just a thought......

Larsen PO150 Portable Antenna .5 Wave Coil 144-174 MHz BLACK

Status
Not open for further replies.