• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about GMRS attic antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGC21980

Hello all, new to the site here!

I have a question in regards to an attic antenna for GMRS. I am obtaining my license and would like to install an attic monted antenna for a base station. The house is a rental and I am not allowed to install anything exterior, but did get the OK to use attic space. I only have maybe 4 feet or so of height right at the peak.

My question is, I have been reading up on antennas and antenna gain. Due to the height, I could only use what they call a unity gain fiberglass base staion antenna. A ham friend of mine suggested finding a large metal or aluminum plate, drill the center and install a 5bd UHF mobile radio antenna in the center, and install that in the attic thus giving me "gain".

What do you all think is the best route and best performer? A fiberglass base antenna or the mobile antenna idea?

Thanks in advance!!

ermin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Try this

http://www.rfparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=SVU4500SP1

Ed

retiredinsemo

I recommend an Arrow Dual Band J Pole antenna. It may not have the most gain, etc. but is very easy to install/remove. I used one for several months in an attic setting similar to yours with good results. Moreover, it's a rock solid product that give excellent SWR returns. There's several models available based on your frequency requirements.

Arrow Antennas JPole 2m 70cm Dual Band Repeater FM

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Some antennas require a "ground plane" and some do not. A typical mobile antenna requires a ground plane to provide the other half of the antenna. A ground plane does not "add" gain to an antenna. Some base station antennas don't require a ground plane. Antenna gain is a function of the antenna design and may or may not require a ground plane. Gain in a mobile antenna is usually achieved by stacking 1/4, 1/2, or 5/8 wave elements on top of each other. Adding a metal ground plane under a mobile antenna would improve its effectiveness. A ground plane needs to be a minimum of a 1/4 wavelength. A base station antenna that uses multiple phased "trombone" or dipole elements doesn't require a ground plane. Gain in this type of antenna is achieved by the multiple phased elements.

cmdrwill

The FG400x series are a overpriced fiberglass fixed antenna with 18 gauge steel wire with piss poor copper plating inside.

"5/8 wave stacked" .. who the hell are they kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.