• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about GMRS repeaters being used by farmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
This harvest I have came across two repeaters on GMRS frequencies. One of them may be licensed properly as there is a licensee at the repeater site(on a silo). The other one, I can't find anyone licensed and as a matter of fact only 2 people in the whole county are licensed for GMRS(one of them is me). As a licensed GMRS user, what is the law/rules about using this repeater for my own use?

Thanks

Tim

hockeyshrink

On GMRS, users are licensed, not repeaters; however, the repeater is owned by someone and you generally need their permission to use it. I say "generally" ONLY because there was an "open repeater" initiative a while back that sought to make repeaters "open" to licensed users. Those machines were typically on 675 with a PL of 141.8. In any event, you need permission of the owner.

I am guessing you are hearing traffic on the repeater but noone is using a call sign?...because if you hear a call sign you can always look them up in the ULS database on the FCC website.

Last edited:

timkilbride

Database Admin
On GMRS, users are licensed, not repeaters; however, the repeater is owned by someone and you generally need their permission to use it. I say "generally" ONLY because there was an "open repeater" initiative a while back that sought to make repeaters "open" to licensed users. Those machines were typically on 675 with a PL of 141.8. In any event, you need permission of the owner.

I am guessing you are hearing traffic on the repeater but noone is using a call sign?...because if you hear a call sign you can always look them up in the ULS database on the FCC website.

One machine is using 114.8 and the other is using 97.4. No call signs from either users on both repeaters.

Tim

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
One machine is using 114.8 and the other is using 97.4. No call signs from either users on both repeaters.

Tim

Most farmers in this area don't use any call signs on gmrs,much less care what type of service they are on.
If you explain it to them, you get grief or a confused farmer.:roll:

n9zas

RKG

Note that many people use their repeater controllers to send Station ID via Morse Code. This eliminates the need to do it manually, and the controllers are programmed with FCC Station ID requirements, so one doesn't have to remember them.

However, since the Morse ID can be irritating to users, it is not uncommon to program the controller to send the ID without tone. That means that if you are listening on a tone-gated receiver, you won't hear the ID. You have to listen CSQ.

fineshot1

Its also important to remember that not all users on GMRS frequencies
are going to be GMRS users. Some licensed users prior to GMRS have
been grandfathered. Some of those licenses may have expired and the
users just have continued to use them as if nothing has happened.

That is a typical scenario, but it could also just be someone operating
without any kind of license.

talkpair

Since the FCC no longer collects technical parameters of systems in GMRS.......the repeater could belong to anyone licensed under the authority of the FCC.

In the past, GMRS licensees had to list every frequency, power, ERP, number of units, latitude, longitude, .....etc on their application.
A license would be issued with those same areas and locations listed.

Since none of that is collected or listed on GMRS licenses anymore, I would assume you can put a repeater anywhere the FCC has authority.

It does not excuse the station from identification however.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Its also important to remember that not all users on GMRS frequencies
are going to be GMRS users. Some licensed users prior to GMRS have
been grandfathered. Some of those licenses may have expired and the
users just have continued to use them as if nothing has happened.

That is a typical scenario, but it could also just be someone operating
without any kind of license.

In the past few years most of the users licensed on gmrs repeater outputs that were previously under that grandfather clause now need to be licensed.
The gf clause was only in effect until their current licenses expired with no renewal under the old classification.
If any farmer or business still has a valid license under the old rules for gmrs then I'd be surprised.
We routinely program cwid's for repeaters with or without tone on the controllers we build. :)

Integrated Control Systems

n9zas

czanek

Building A GMRS Repeater

I just got my GMRS License a few months back. looking to build a repeater out of eather PM400 or CM300, I have a rick that was used for GM300. Can anyone point to link for info on how to set it up and can it do the Call Sign data. I have CPS RO 5.16.
also I know you can only use the GMRS for personal use, I belong to an SCCA race club I Think they would be out side the correct use,

Thanks
WQOZ615

Status
Not open for further replies.