Question about GPS for the BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkB513

I've continued to use my old GPS unit from my BCD996XT to my BCD996T to my current BCD996P2. The baud rate setting it's been capable of has always been the lowest, otherwise it doesn't detect it. Is the current GPS unit available from Uniden (or anywhere else for that matter) capable of a faster baud rate? And if so, is it worth it for faster switching of systems?

N9JIG

Sheriff
The baud rate on the scanner has to match that of the GPS. Usually the GPS is not adjustable so you match the radio to fit.

Using a faster baud rate GPS unit will not appreciably speed up the switching time between systems.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
All the GPS is doing is giving the radio a position fix, (not doing tasks such as navigating or logging, where quicker positioning is desirable).

As long as the radio has a fix, the data rate really doesn't matter, other than it has to be the correct rate to work.

MarkB513

That's unfortunate, I thought for sure since I was using the lowest setting. I guess It's not worth upgrading since it still works and I have it custom installed. I probably should be looking at trying to reduce the amount of systems per location that are turning on and off. Thanks, I appreciate the response.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
That's unfortunate, I thought for sure since I was using the lowest setting. I guess It's not worth upgrading since it still works and I have it custom installed. I probably should be looking at trying to reduce the amount of systems per location that are turning on and off. Thanks, I appreciate the response.

Look into rectangles. Much more precise than circles, if done correctly.

A lot of work, but well worth it.

MarkB513

For several years I've been using Microsoft MapPoint for creating the GPS coordinates for the towns I routinely drive through (to and from work, etc.) within CT. I've become accustom to the circles not having exacted measurements with the half a mile increment/spacing. With the size/shape of the towns their is some overlap, but if it lies with in a neighborhood street and not the main route I travel, it usually doesn't matter. I have most of the state covered. I have at least one conventional and one to two trunk systems unlocking and locking each time I cross a town boarder. Generally it's the CLMRN trunk and a conventional system. The idea is I only want to monitor the police and utilities for the town I'm currently in. Fire and EMS frequencies/talk groups tend to repeat per system approximately a neighboring town's distance away. I know at some point I want to revamp the CLMRN trunk system coordinates to cover a much larger area to avoid turning on/off the same towers, it's a work in progress. All that said, it works quite well. Especially since I monitor the scanner from a portable away from the car (not going to get into that creation) and if I can park some where and grab my portable and continuing monitoring, I'm golden. Again, I was just hoping for quicker switching of systems per boarders with a faster GPS, but I can definitely live with the way it is now.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Remember that the range you set on the scanner is only part of the equation. Even if range is set to zero, sites and departments will still be enabled if their range (as set in the database or within a manually created Favorites list), overlaps your current location, whether that is set by a GPS or manually.
How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Status
Not open for further replies.