Question about Home Weather Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Gentleman, this is somewhat off topic but not far. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a self contained home weather station? I am not looking for a cheap radio shack sort of thing but a quality unit that I can install say at my summer home and have it feed data back to my residence via the web. Can anyone recommend a unit that measures wind speed, temp and rain type data?

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend the Davis Vantage Pro2. I've been using one for several years and have only had to perform routine maintenance such as cleaning. Very reliable and accurate enough for a home weather station.

Ambient Weather has the cabled model of this station on sale for $323.00. You'll also need to get the data logger which connects it to your computer and that runs another $100.00. Still, IMHO the best balance between quality and price in a home weather station.

Check out my signature for a link to my weather website using data from the VP2.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
I second the Davis line of equipment. Very durable equipment and they provide great customer support. The have even replaced some parts after warranty for free. Great company to deal with.

Nice website neondesert!

Mike

W9NES

Davis is a little Pricey for my wallet.I would recomend that you look at Oregon Weather Stations.I bought mine complete with the remote monitor for Temp and also the Wind Speed Indicator for less the $100.00 at Radio Shack.I did see a Lacrosse Solar Powered Weather Station with everything you need at Costco for $79.00.All you have to do is look around and find what you are looking for.Good Luck on finding your Home Weather Station. Tim DeLong W9NES/ GMRS KAF3207/*Monitoring all of Metro Indianapolis/Marion County and all of Central Indiana*

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
OWS is low quality and low value too, you'll notice that the error on their measurements are pretty high (+/- 3 degrees for temp alone.)

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 as well, it has been up and running for around 5 years now with no problems.
You are paying for accuracy and durability when you compare the nicer weather stations with the cheaper consumer models.
I think that you get what you pay for, especially for something that will be outside for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.