question about interference.. (radio nerd advice needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm having a slight issue in my new place of residence.. I just recently signed on as a comcast cable customer for both TV and internet.. It all works well under normal circumstances, except when someone uses the washing machine downstairs, it severely disrupts both the TV and cable..

The cable terminal in close proximity to the washing machine on the outside wall.. Is this a shielding issue with the cable, or is the washing machine emitting a severe spurious signal that is penetrating the coax shielding? Does anyone have any suggestions?

SLWilson

Just a guess, but...

This is just a guess on my part, but, I'd say that the brushes in the washing machine motor are bad and causing the problem because of the close proximity to the cable box outside.

I'd check with Comcast and have them send a tech out. Be sure that the neighbor is there and can run the washing machint so the cable tech can "see" whay you are dealing with.

Then, most likely they will move your access point away from where it is now located...

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

EncryptionMan

Well I must say your first problem is signing up with Comcast :). Also how close are you to that apartment? As doubtful as I am it could be an electrical issue as well. If you are the only one having issues while other tenants are off the same splitter are in the clear they will more than likely put it on you. Also I doubt the tech will go through the trouble of doing much 1) As they make no money on a service call and 2) Seeing as how TV's and their related devices are part 15.

ryangassxx

Banned
EncryptionMan said:
Well I must say your first problem is signing up with Comcast :). Also how close are you to that apartment? As doubtful as I am it could be an electrical issue as well. If you are the only one having issues while other tenants are off the same splitter are in the clear they will more than likely put it on you. Also I doubt the tech will go through the trouble of doing much 1) As they make no money on a service call and 2) Seeing as how TV's and their related devices are part 15.

The source of the "noise" is not from an apartment, it's the laundry room in the basement.. We're currently the only tenants drawing from the splitter..

Ch1ronTL34

First off...you should get RCN instead of Comcast....secondly, you should make an appointment as soon as possible because it usually takes several business days for them to get out there.

<rant> We had Comcast in our first apartment and their customer service/internet service was absolutely horrific.

N1BHH

Ch1ronTL34 said:
First off...you should get RCN instead of Comcast....secondly, you should make an appointment as soon as possible because it usually takes several business days for them to get out there.

<rant> We had Comcast in our first apartment and their customer service/internet service was absolutely horrific.

If there is no choice, you are up the creek without a paddle. The alternative is go with DSL, but then, get them to replace all the wiring and jacks at that. And if FIOS is available from Verizon, get that.

I know someone who had a problem with a fuzzy picture on all channels of a Comcast cable setup and called them three times in a week and got nowhere. Finally he went down to their office, they saw that he was 6 feet 8 inches tall and was upset, they called their repair guy in the back room and went right out and fixed what I said was the problem. It was a bad pole connection. The actual junction box had problems with connections being frayed. The guy actually just pulled the coax right off, leaving the "F" connector still on the box. They also strung new drop cable because they discovered the cable was installed 15 years ago when the system was first constructed. Another happy customer.

kb2vxa

Banned
First of all there are no brushes in an AC induction motor. The washing machine has some digital timer and control circuits that are notorious hash generators.

Question for Encryption and Ch1, when in Comcast or anyone else's territory what alternative do you have? Is not a monopoly the only game in town?

"We're currently the only tenants drawing from the splitter."

Maybe you can explain that, what would it be doing in YOUR line unless you signed up for more than a one set connection? Maybe someone was pirating TV before you moved in and the installer simply connected you at the pole and never came in the building and noticed it? What does the other side feed and where does it go? You may be looking at signal loss and leakage here AND a legal liability so I'd make darn sure it's on the up and up.

I'd get Larry the cable guy in to fix the problem by whatever means necessary and let Comcast determine what means are necessary. They're under contract and have a legal responsibility to provide good reliable service. Call customer service, explain the problem and NOT your idea of how to fix it in SIMPLE and concise language (remember you're dealing with a moron) and have him/her write up the work order accordingly. Should you happen to speak to the cable guy remember you're dealing with another moron; he's an installer, not an engineer. Again do NOT tell him anything of your ideas, he does NOT like being told what to do!

BTW, don't count on even seeing Larry when he shows up eventually at a time you least expect; he'll follow what's on the work order to the letter without taking any more steps that he needs to complete the job AS ORDERED. He's paid by the job and not by time on the job so he'll get in and out as quickly as possible and move on to the next job. Quantity and not quality is job one in his eyes; that's how to make money, not by messing around with some schlep that means nothing to his paycheck.

Why Larry? He's the cable guy with the "git 'er done" attitude... right? Ryan, just one last thought. You sure have your problems don't you? Every time you post it's always something; I'm going to start calling you The Hard Luck Kid. I know another Ryan and it never fails, that name must be jinxed so you may consider changing it and having an exorcism performed. (;->)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.