• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about masts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking of putting in a mast that's a bit higher then the roof, however I haven't any real idea on where to find masts....

My question is, where do you guys recommend / get yours, and what size should I go? (I'm in a residential neighborhood, and a lot of trees on my property)

KC0QNB

I'm thinking of putting in a mast that's a bit higher then the roof, however I haven't any real idea on where to find masts....

My question is, where do you guys recommend / get yours, and what size should I go? (I'm in a residential neighborhood, and a lot of trees on my property)
Radio shack offers two a 10' and a 5'. Tessco offers several telescoping masts, from 20-50'.
How high do you want to go?, how are do you want to mount it, roof of ground? remember if you go over 10 feet it needs to be guyed.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Good idea, but I would love to see a fence that uses 21' posts (non correctional uses :D)

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
Radio shack offers two a 10' and a 5'. Tessco offers several telescoping masts, from 20-50'.
How high do you want to go?, how are do you want to mount it, roof of ground? remember if you go over 10 feet it needs to be guyed.

Great suggestions, didn't even think of the fence...

I'm thinking between 20 - 40'. I think 20' would be level if not a tiny bit over my antenna mount on the roof, however I think it would be easier to work on and add other stuff to it if I choose on an in ground mast....

KC0QNB

Great suggestions, didn't even think of the fence...

I'm thinking between 20 - 40'. I think 20' would be level if not a tiny bit over my antenna mount on the roof, however I think it would be easier to work on and add other stuff to it if I choose on an in ground mast....
You might try a tons mast look here He did an awesome job with the whole project.

stevolene

I bought 2 10 foot top rail aluminum fence post from ace hardware, I believe the cost was around 16.00 for each section, they slide into each other, you can drill a hole where they meet and put a bolt in there, I wouldnt recomend going any higher than 20 ft with this set up though, not without guy wire

n8emr

One of the few things radio wise radio shack is good for is there TV mast, 5 or 10ft sections. If your only going 30ft they also have a tescopic mast. Lowes and homedepot also have similar mast in the tv section

gcgrotz

Heavy wall galvanized water pipe comes in 21' sections too and will support a small scanner antenna. I'm using 1-1/4" with a RS full size cb whip on top for a 40 meter vertical. It is very heavy and needs commercial grade mounting brackets, perhaps mount it to a 10ft piece of 2" that's in 3 or 4 feet of concrete.

ka5lqj

Fence Top rail.....

My 2 ¢:

All of the galvinized fence top rail I've bought at Home Depot measures 10' 6" with one end swagged for insertion into the other. They make a connector that goes in-beteween but it's for horizontal mounting of the pipe. If memory serves me right, the top raid O.D. is about 1½".

When I found it necessary to go above the original 10' vertical "stick", I cut a 4' long piece of electrical pvc, 1½ I.D. and slid it in-between joints, drilled holes in the upper "brace" and lower "brace" and bolted it together. It works best if you rotate the bolt hole placements 90º. This makes it mechanically secure.

Above 20', this "bolting" gives you a place to put a guy ring to put the guy wires. I believe they still sell them. I don't think that given the top rail's thickness, even guyed, I would not attempt a 50 footer, LOL!
For that you need to consider a metal tower and the neighbors won't like that. :-(

Respectfully,

Don/KA5LQJ
"I reached into the air, and found a friend."

Viper43

Fence posts are not strong enough, they will bend like pretzels in 50-60 MPH winds. Even the RS telescoping antenna mounts bend easily in 60-70 MPH winds. A heavy duty pipe such as a riser which is in 10' lengths will survive much higher winds, it however isn't cheap. My one pipe post survived the winds from a tornado, just not the tree that fell a half hour later.... I think the pipe was $50 a section, but it will easily survive 90 MPH winds.

V

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Fence posts are not strong enough, they will bend like pretzels in 50-60 MPH winds. Even the RS telescoping antenna mounts bend easily in 60-70 MPH winds. A heavy duty pipe such as a riser which is in 10' lengths will survive much higher winds, it however isn't cheap. My one pipe post survived the winds from a tornado, just not the tree that fell a half hour later.... I think the pipe was $50 a section, but it will easily survive 90 MPH winds.

V

what's a riser?

Status
Not open for further replies.