Question about Midland wr-300

Status
Not open for further replies.

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is the proper place for this question but here it goes. I just recieved a wr300 for Christmas and its working great since Muncie has its own NWS transmitter now. I noticed that i can add custom alerts (hurricane...fire..types like that). Does anybody know if theres been alerts added that wasnt already pre-programmed into this radio...or where to go to find them on the web?

Thanks
Joe

SCPD

QRT
You might try Midland online and Indiana NWS
NWS I know has some info and the county codes plus what they alert on

scansalot52

There is no point in adding some of the alerts. NWS in Indiana is not going to broadcast an alert for a threat that exists only in distant locations. For instance, its very unlikely that NWS in Hawaii would ever have to broadcast a blizzard warning and they most likely wouldn't broadcast one for Indiana.

A note about the remote stations such as Muncie and what it covers. Muncie does not cover all the counties that Indianapolis does. If for some reason you'd be interested in hearing alerts for Johnson county, you need to monitor the Indy channel, not the Muncie one.

Also with most of these radios you can only add or delete the alert codes from the options listed already programmed into the radio at the tme of manufacture.

Last edited:

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
yeah i understand that the Muncie tower covers less counties than Indy but this thing cant pick up indy with the telescoping antenna (although there is a external antenna jack). My bcd996t picks up indy pretty well with the telescoping antenna so the Midland is a little shady on the reception side...I just wanted a stand-alone weather radio and it has more options than the bcd996t. Thanks for the quick replies and the help. I like my radios, i just stray away from outdoor antennas when theres a lightning storm goin on....dont wanna zap a radio if not needed

W9NES

The Tower in Muncie for NWS on on 162.425 and is located on top of one of the buildings at Ball State University in Muncie and I can hear it in Indianapolis with a rubber duck antenna on my hand held scanner.The Tower site should cover the city of Muncie/Delaware County.

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
Its on top of the Teachers College at the corner of McKinley and Riverside on the NW corner. Building is about 110...120 feet high

dwh367

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
Well the PDF i got for the radio says its enabled but is marked with * The ones marked with a * (which tornado warning is) will only recieve a message but not sound the siren. It also says you can reprogram those marked with * to enable the siren thru the defeat siren catagory but tornado warning isnt in the defeat sired catagory...just tornado watch, Also doesnt have earthquake warning either (not that big of a concern here but...). When powered up it says version 5 which to my understanding is the latest. Guess ill wait till spring and see if my house blows away in the middle of the night. Im gonna compare it to my 996t this spring and see if it gets the same alerts. Thanks to everybody for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.