Question about my HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I got a new Kenwood TH-K2AT on Tuesday and I got a question. I like to listen to my channels on scan, so would it hurt anything for me to keep it plugged into the power supply with the radio on to listen, or will this burn up the battery?

mrweather

Generally not a good idea to keep it plugged in continuously like that.

I'd pop out the battery. If you need to take the radio, unplug it and pop the battery back in.

N1BHH

Get yourself a few battery packs and a drop in charger. That way you will always have the radio ready to go. Leaving a radio plugged into the wall all the time will cause the batteries to improperly charge, making them useless very quickly. Alkaline cases are fine if you are running low power and will last for days.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
Ok, thanks for the help. Wasn't sure. Don't have money for extra rechargeables. I will get the AA battery case. I read that you can use it plugged in and it just supplies power to the radio and won't try to charge batteries.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
During the snow storms this past winter, my uncle in Massachusetts said the only communications he had was his handheld. He went through several packs but they were worth it since it was his only source ofcommunicatation. He lives a good way out but still managed to get a repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.