PSR500/PSR600: Question about p25 /phase 1 monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

BITT211

Looking if there is any firmware adjustment on this problem ,

p25 -phase 1 - on p25 / nac codes , example - 144 ,059 , can hear loud and clear , but on p25 - phase 1,

nac codes showing ,F86 , receiving sometimes clear / sometimes broken , noting I have full power bar.

looking for any ideas on this, thanks!

Swipesy

The last Firmware version was U2.3, DSP App 1.4 , DSP Voc 1.0.

Both Win500 and PSREdit software, under the advance tab have some settings that can be changed for P25, but I have no clue what they do.

I have found moving the radio sometimes solves the bad reception.

cpetraglia

The FW may help, but it sounds like your suffering the same old LSM distortion issues that many have.
There and a few threads here discussing LSM reception. You may need some sort of directional antenna and find your closest system transmitter. It worked for me after many, many antenna experiments.

N8IAA

p25 -phase 1 - on p25 / nac codes , example - 144 ,059 , can hear loud and clear , but on p25 - phase 1,

nac codes showing ,F86 , receiving sometimes clear / sometimes broken , noting I have full power bar.

What antenna are you using on the scanner? The telescoping one that came with the radio, or an external antenna?
The Phase I system, is it the electric company, or another one?
Just so you understand, conventional P-25 isn't Phase I. It is just P-25 conventional.
Also, what scanner are you using?
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:

usswood

how are you seeing NAC codes on a trunked system... do you have it set up as P25 Auto Trunked system in your scanner or are you scanning frequencies conventionally? I don't see any simulcast sites with the system your asking about

N8IAA

how are you seeing NAC codes on a trunked system... do you have it set up as P25 Auto Trunked system in your scanner or are you scanning frequencies conventionally? I don't see any simulcast sites with the system your asking about

If you read my response, there are P-25 conventional frequencies in Erie county, NY. They use those NAC's. What trunk systems is monitored hasn't been stated yet. My guess is that this person is trying to monitor the Niagra county, NY Phase I system.
Until the person answers, we won't know.
Larry

BITT211

Question about p25 / psr600

Yes, I did mean p25 conventional , freq spread -460 mhz area , outside antenna , commerical uhf 7db gain omni directional on 50' on tower , coax heliax , 1/2 " . no bd loss here , 120 ft run , all weather sealed connections. Erie County , picking up Buffalo PD , clear , all freq's , but Erie County Sheriffs , with simulcasting between ,analog / p25 ,
p25 , like I said , p25 , sometimes crystal clear / other transmissions broken . noting analog no problem.
My power signal full power , I am thinking simulcasting my be doing this.

N8IAA

Yes, I did mean p25 conventional , freq spread -460 mhz area , outside antenna , commerical uhf 7db gain omni directional on 50' on tower , coax heliax , 1/2 " . no bd loss here , 120 ft run , all weather sealed connections. Erie County , picking up Buffalo PD , clear , all freq's , but Erie County Sheriffs , with simulcasting between ,analog / p25 ,
p25 , like I said , p25 , sometimes crystal clear / other transmissions broken . noting analog no problem.
My power signal full power , I am thinking simulcasting my be doing this.

Simulcasting has nothing to do with conventional P-25. It is a problem that trunk systems have with multiple towers on the same frequencies.
It is more likely that the 460 MHz frequencies are being interfered with natural and man made obstacles. Another thing, analog can be heard when it isn't quite making the repeater, digital will fall out if it is in a bad area. Line of sight is important for both, but definitely digital!
Larry

BITT211

gre600

I turned [off] digital agc function, that seemed to help 90% , digital audio receiving solid transmissions

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Simulcasting has nothing to do with conventional P-25. It is a problem that trunk systems have with multiple towers on the same frequencies.

Conventional P25 can also be simulcast (as can analog, for that matter). :wink:

In fact, it is no different than a simulcast P25 trunked system. Either way, the scanner is tuned to a voice frequency listening to a P25 repeater. The only difference is that with trunking, the control channel first tells the scanner which frequency to tune to.

Multi-path interference and distortion doesn't care whether a system is trunked simulcast or conventional simulcast, either way the scanner is trying to make sense of two or more signals hitting it simultaneously. CQPSK/LSM modulation makes the situation worse, but it can happen with C4FM modulation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.