Question about Polarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy625

Hey folks, this is going to sound like a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyhow because you HAM folks have some funny terminologies sometimes and I only get one shot at this. If I screw it up, I have to build a whole new wiring harness.

My instructions say "The upward end of Dipole #1 should have the same polarity as the downward end of Dipole #2"
My dipoles (there are two of them) are tilted on a 30 degree angle so there's an uphill side and a downhill side on each dipole. On Dipole #1, the center conductor is connected to the uphill side and shield connected to the downhill side.

When they use the term "Polarity", the center conductor, if we considered that as the positive side, should be on the uphill side of Dipole 1 and the downhill side of Dipole 2 right?

I said it was a stupid question right? I'm 99.9% sure I'm correct but that 0.1% is bugging me.

prcguy

Generally speaking and especially for stacked dipole arrays, the center conductor of the coax should be oriented the same on all dipoles. It doesn't matter if all dipoles have the center conductor going to the element pointed up or if the shield side points up. The important part is that they are all the same, so if one dipole has the coax going to the element pointing up, make all other dipoles exactly the same.

Hey folks, this is going to sound like a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyhow because you HAM folks have some funny terminologies sometimes and I only get one shot at this. If I screw it up, I have to build a whole new wiring harness.

My instructions say "The upward end of Dipole #1 should have the same polarity as the downward end of Dipole #2"
My dipoles (there are two of them) are tilted on a 30 degree angle so there's an uphill side and a downhill side on each dipole. On Dipole #1, the center conductor is connected to the uphill side and shield connected to the downhill side.

When they use the term "Polarity", the center conductor, if we considered that as the positive side, should be on the uphill side of Dipole 1 and the downhill side of Dipole 2 right?

I said it was a stupid question right? I'm 99.9% sure I'm correct but that 0.1% is bugging me.

Golay

Polarity

I think what your instructions are talking about is the orientation of the antenna.
Both legs should be either horizontal or vertically polarized.
The whole dipole should be one straight line.

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
Or one straight line as best as you can.
We can't always put up antennas in the optimum position, height, etc. You do the best you can with them and see how it goes and make improvements as you can.

I have a 102ft doublet in a tree inverted V style. The legs are too close, not at 90 degrees, it is slanted and not really high enough. It does okay for 40 and 80 meters though for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.