Question about programming and channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

xonitroxo

I have the Pro-135 (i think thats the #'s) anyways my general question is, does the channels have anything thing to do with anything or are they just a number thats kinda like a speed dial when your adding your frequnecies in? Ive heard ppl say, "listen to channel 16" but since Im new, I was under the impression that channel 16 doesnt exsist until I input a frequncey in to it.
Im confused, am I correct or do I need some serious help. Im having a hard time learning how to use my scanner, I dont hear much of anything.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
When you hear someone say 'go to channel 16' that channel number exists in their professional radios. I don't know in what state Shiawasse county resides, but we have state-by-state forums (which is where this thread should be placed - look at the bold at the intro to this forum) where you can get more regional help. There are also numerous state-related scanning Yahoo email lists that can be very helpful. They may know - or our database may even have (look it up - hit 'database' in the blue toolbar at the top) what 'channel 16' is.

It's hard to say anything definite without knowing that information, but not hearing a lot sometimes involves the antenna just as much as the scanner. That little stick antenna - we often refer to it as a 'duckie' - is a compromise across the vast amount of frequencies a scanner can receive. A better antenna is sometimes - not always - a better investment

73 Mike

seamusg

I have the Pro-135 (i think thats the #'s) anyways my general question is, does the channels have anything thing to do with anything or are they just a number thats kinda like a speed dial when your adding your frequnecies in? Ive heard ppl say, "listen to channel 16" but since Im new, I was under the impression that channel 16 doesnt exsist until I input a frequncey in to it.
Im confused, am I correct or do I need some serious help. Im having a hard time learning how to use my scanner, I dont hear much of anything.
I don't know how much traffic is on your local frequencies, but you should check out the WIKI here for information on scanning. Also you should be posting your messages in the Michigan Forum. I tried listening to the MPSCS tower in your area and got some MSP traffic, note your scanner cannot receive MPSCS as it is digital. As to a reference to a channel number, those are the channel in their local radio or a name they gave to it, and not a channel on your scanner unless you've programed it. If you look in the database here under Michigan and your county you'll see what's available for your area. I wouldn't worry about listening to MPSCS for your area, since there are only 2 Talkgroups for your county and digital scanners are $500.

DickH

... hear someone say 'go to channel 16' that channel number exists in 'channel 16' is.

It's hard to say anything definite without knowing that information ...
73 Mike

Channel 16 is a common Marine channel. He's probably hearing a boat on Lake Michigan.

bigbluemsp

I would look at getting a new scanner. Shiawassee County is switching to the MPSCS this year so the older scanner won't monitor them.

Status
Not open for further replies.