Question about returns 536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Sorry about that, not really technologically minded, but maybe "Firmware" would be a better term which I thought was the hardware of the thing but I guess it isn't.

The point being they are upgrading stuff as you go along which is something new and progressive when compared to back when I got into scanning. This allows all sorts of fixes and goodies as time goes by theoretically at least.

No biggie :D Hardware is things like ICs and components. Firmware is embedded operating instructions that the manufacturer installs on flashable components. Software is all the programs and data that make the whole shebang work.

Yes, scanners have certainly come a long way, and it looks like Uniden may make these winners after all if the users confirm that the latest firmware update addresses the issues they target!

dkf435

Well at least I have decided to keep my 536 repair transit time to a minimum. My 536 has yet to be made yet and I WILL NOT BUY until probably December with the rate that they are going with the problems, defects and bugs.
This radio is a $600 premium radio and should not be on the street for full list price with the problems it has now. The only other handheld radio that I have spent this amount on is dual band waterproof and digital ham radio with GPS mic and it does not have all these problems.
If Uniden feels that I am wrong then I guess that I am not the proper customer for their product and I will just rely on my existing inventory to do needed tasks.

Come on Whistler get that PSR900 going.

David Kb7uns

Existing inventory

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
No biggie :D Hardware is things like ICs and components. Firmware is embedded operating instructions that the manufacturer installs on flashable components. Software is all the programs and data that make the whole shebang work.

Yes, scanners have certainly come a long way, and it looks like Uniden may make these winners after all if the users confirm that the latest firmware update addresses the issues they target!

I have been very encouraged by what I've seen in researching this scanner. Compared to the 396/996 that wouldn't even decode P25 systems for all intents and purposes this scanner has made me buy Uniden for the first time in years. (Or will Monday)

Although the things costs an arm and leg to get it and all the stuff you need to go with it. I swear I could get an XTS 5000 for what I'm spending on this adventure.

Thanks for explaining all the techno stuff, its all Greek to me I'm afraid. Used to what you got is what you got and that's it. LOL

SCPD

QRT
Although the things costs an arm and leg to get it and all the stuff you need to go with it. I swear I could get an XTS 5000 for what I'm spending on this adventure. [/QUOTE said:
What extra Stuff do you need?

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
What extra Stuff do you need?

Answered your question in other thread but just stuff for general use. Antenna, GPS, battery charger, batteries etc. Its just it all adds up real fast. 22.95 here and 29.95 there while something else is 47 and that's 28 on and on you know. LOL

SCPD

QRT
Answered your question in other thread but just stuff for general use. Antenna, GPS, battery charger, batteries etc. Its just it all adds up real fast. 22.95 here and 29.95 there while something else is 47 and that's 28 on and on you know. LOL

What?................... have not checked to other ?..................
OK. nice to have GPS ................ What is wrong in entering Zip Code 2 to 3 times.
Battery Charger. I had 1 or 2 laying around in this case...............................
My Battery last almost a Week or so with this new Scanner.
WHAT.........................?
I plug it in COMPUTER or CAR most of TIME...................................
This way being going over a Week.
I HAVE NOT SPEND ONE DIME OVER THE COST OF THIS NEW SCANNER.
Except pulling my Hair out learning how to operate it.
I'm not putting you or anyone down..
All I say if you somewhat Tech sway you do not need to spend an extra Penny on it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Although the things costs an arm and leg to get it and all the stuff you need to go with it. I swear I could get an XTS 5000 for what I'm spending on this adventure.
Since this thread is about the 536, and, more specifically, about the return policy Uniden has implemented in this headphone output repair campaign, what the heck are you talking about?

The 536 comes with everything you need in order to use the device as a base scanner.

In your follow-up post, you state "Antenna, GPS, battery charger, batteries etc. Its just it all adds up real fast." The 536 comes with an antenna, you don't need a GPS receiver, it has no batteries, other than the clock battery, so there's no need for a battery charger or extra batteries. Granted, if you want to use a 536 in a mobile environment, an external antenna would be useful and a GPS receiver would be nice, but certainly not necessary.

That's why these threads go off the rails. You are obviously complaining about costs you have incurred outfitting your 436, not 536, with accessories that you feel are useful. This is a 536 thread, and, more specifically, a 536 headphone output repair campaign thread. Please take your complaints to a different thread.

bberns22

I rarely post here, but find it to be a great resource.

This said, I find the comments from certain members that infer that customers of rather expensive radio equipment have no business complaining about DESIGN DEFECTS and then state that those are the risks that "Early Adopters of Technology" assume.

When equipping a (LARGE) fleet of vehicles with new radios and scanners this past week, I specifically decided against using the Uniden product simply due to the way that they handle initial FACTORY DEFECTS. We have a few dozen, but they are sitting in a locker in the garage -- probably will be given to other agencies that do not require EVERYTHING to work in such an expensive comm device. (yeah.. we actually DO make use of the audio feature for consolidation of audio sources via an optically isolated amplified distribution system.

Now We will be waiting for a competitor to produce a product that can handle our needs, yet offers quality service. In the interim, for a small portion of the supervisors, we simply added XTVA's and used portable radios to get around the "phase II" limitation and kept our 996xt's.

Why would a so called "LARGE" company be buying consumer products when it want's COMMERCIAL grade equipment?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Just a little FYI, those repairs while covered and being replaced by Ford will be done so with NEW products. Not refurbished and or off of another vehicle.
Ford isn't replacing the entire vehicle, which is what some of you seem to want Uniden to do with your 536's. And, they aren't recalling the vehicles with the defective part, unlike Uniden who is recalling 536's so they can replace the defective part. All Ford is doing is warrantying that they will replace the brake booster if it fails during the special extended warranty period. That's a heck of a lot less than Uniden is doing.

My point, and the reason I brought up the Ford analogy (for others reading this thread who don't understand analogies) is to point out that Uniden is doing quite a lot for the consumer to deal with a manufacturing defect. I get the feeling that some of you are looking at this as a "glass half empty" rather than a "glass half full" situation .

This is the issue I have had the entire time. Why should you get a refurb unit when you just bought the scanner not even a month ago.
Paul has stated more than once that most likely, you'll get a previously-unsold 536 that was returned from a dealer or intercepted from the distribution chain. And, if you want your 536 back, there's a method for doing so.

What Paul hasn't said, I don't think, is that if you want your 536 replaced as part of this campaign, do it quickly so you get one of the previously-unsold units that's been returned from a dealer or distribution. What he also hasn't said is what will happen to the customer-returned units that are leftover after the campaign is completed. My guess is that they will go into Uniden's refurb inventory and be sold from Uniden's store for less than you paid for your original scanner.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Since this thread is about the 536, and, more specifically, about the return policy Uniden has implemented in this headphone output repair campaign, what the heck are you talking about?

The 536 comes with everything you need in order to use the device as a base scanner.

In your follow-up post, you state "Antenna, GPS, battery charger, batteries etc. Its just it all adds up real fast." The 536 comes with an antenna, you don't need a GPS receiver, it has no batteries, other than the clock battery, so there's no need for a battery charger or extra batteries. Granted, if you want to use a 536 in a mobile environment, an external antenna would be useful and a GPS receiver would be nice, but certainly not necessary.

That's why these threads go off the rails. You are obviously complaining about costs you have incurred outfitting your 436, not 536, with accessories that you feel are useful. This is a 536 thread, and, more specifically, a 536 headphone output repair campaign thread. Please take your complaints to a different thread.

I'm sorry I'll refrain from speaking about being willing to purchase a Uniden in this thread and for your information I am not complaining at all. Just noting how much I didn't realize was involved, much like the studying required for the 436/536. Its all part and parcel of what comes with getting this new scanner. Not a complaint just a statement!

Status
Not open for further replies.