Question about scanner and group..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpowley

Bad link on "this group" . The scanner in question can scan analog (non-digital) trunked systems -MOT, EDACS & LTR - along with conventional analog frequencies.

mikerash

Premium Subscriber
Thanks rpowley -- which scanner would do best, of course one that isnt 400 +.. if possible

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, unless you find a used one for less than $400, you're stuck buying a new $500 scanner. As was pointed out, it looks like a lot of the "good" stuff is digital on that system, and digital scanners are expensive.

The digitals are: Radio Shack Pro-96 and Pro-2096, and Unidens are the BC396T and the BC996T. Some older Uniden 796D's and 250D's can be found too, but lack a lot of the features of the newer models.

mikerash

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your help -- I'm scoping out EBay -- I see a PRO-96 for 315.. but I'm always hesitant about buying Radio Shack stuff

rpowley

mikerash said:
Thanks for your help -- I'm scoping out EBay -- I see a PRO-96 for 315.. but I'm always hesitant about buying Radio Shack stuff
Don't worry about Radio Shack scanners, especially the digital. I have a couple of them and they do a great job. No, I'm not a diehard R/S type - but they fit my needs. My next scanner will be a Uniden, because of different features.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
The Radio Shack scanners are actually made by a company called GRE, which makes a good product. Personally, I am partial to the Unidens ... I have seven or eight of them.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
As others have said, you won't be disappointed with a Radioshack scanner. They are very good receivers, and receive all the good stuff. When you buy an external antenna, they are amazing.

Unidens do have alot of neat features that Radioshack doesn't offer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.