Question about scanner law...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordJ

I have read some of the threads with regards to the NY scanner law, but I still am not confidant I understand it fully (not that it's possible). I will be travelling to Fl. for holidays and I was planning on purchasing the 396 and 996 while I was there. Now the fun part. I live in Ontario Canada and will be coming back through NY State. Could I really run into problems anywhere? I will not be taking these radios out of their boxes at all and will be transporting them in the trunk. When I am asked about my purchases/amounts and stuff, I am assuming I just need to give them a dollar amount, Iif I have to go in to the customs office for some reason (pay duty/ or whatever)could they confiscate my new radios from me? Or would Customs even care? I would think not, but I just wanted to pose the question.

N

N_Jay

LordJ said:
I have read some of the threads with regards to the NY scanner law, but I still am not confidant I understand it fully (not that it's possible). I will be travelling to Fl. for holidays and I was planning on purchasing the 396 and 996 while I was there. Now the fun part. I live in Ontario Canada and will be coming back through NY State. Could I really run into problems anywhere? I will not be taking these radios out of their boxes at all and will be transporting them in the trunk. When I am asked about my purchases/amounts and stuff, I am assuming I just need to give them a dollar amount, Iif I have to go in to the customs office for some reason (pay duty/ or whatever)could they confiscate my new radios from me? Or would Customs even care? I would think not, but I just wanted to pose the question.

Customs is Federal not State.
If you are going into Canada, then it is Canadian Customs.

Spec

Customs

I suggest you carry the receipt for the radios to avoid excessive duties when you go back etc.just in case.

Spec

Last edited:

kc2kvz

Premium Subscriber
As far as the V&T law affecting mobile scanners, if they are not hooked up and working, it is highly unlikely you would have a problem. Not to say you absolutely wouldn't, but most likely you would have no trouble.

SCANdal

Silent Key
Who's going to play the part of Frog?

J,

Sounds like a modern-day remake of Smokey and the Bandit. Let us know if and when you make it across the border, Bo.

SCANdal

comspec

I am not an expert, but you better check your local laws. I am pretty sure you need a license for a digital scanner in Canada.

D

DaveNF2G

Are you sure about that, joseph11? Radio Shack believes it. The Industry Canada website has had information about it for quite a while (although you have to dig).

Status
Not open for further replies.