SDS100/SDS200: Question about Sentinel software

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon:

I'm purchasing a second SDS100, and although I'm tempted to simply clone it from my older SDS100 via Sentinel, I rather start all over again and program it a little differently.

My question is whether or not I can download a second copy of the Sentinel software and start with a clean slate on the new SDS100 when it arrives.

Thanks for any and all input.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Hi Johnnie,

You can open Sentinel and create a new folder, etc. and save as whatever would help you distinguish the two different folders for each SDS100.

You do not need to download a second copy of Sentinel.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Your Colorado neighbor!

Tim (KC5RYY)

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Hi Johnnie,

You can open Sentinel and create a new folder, etc. and save as whatever would help you distinguish the two different folders for each SDS100.

Thanks, neighbor!

I'm going to open Sentinel now and find out where and how I can create a new folder.

-Johnnie

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon:

I'm purchasing a second SDS100, and although I'm tempted to simply clone it from my older SDS100 via Sentinel, I rather start all over again and program it a little differently.

My question is whether or not I can download a second copy of the Sentinel software and start with a clean slate on the new SDS100 when it arrives.

Thanks for any and all input.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)
You can simply create a second profile for your new scanner. While any of the Favorites lists that you already have, as well as any new ones you might tailor for the second scanner, will all show in Sentinel, you can use separate profiles, one for each scanner, that is set to download and/or monitor specific lists, while ignoring the Favorites that ere created for your first one. That also gives you the option, if you so choose, to cherry pick a current list or two that you may want to have available in both scanners.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Hi Johnnie,

Me again, Tim.

I found a menu option in Sentinel to create a new "File" and another option that opens another profile labeled "Preset." The "Preset" profile has all my old information in it, which I suspect I'd need to delete to create something new. Do I want to create a new "File," or do I want to create a new "Profile" by means of the "Preset" profile option?

I'm finding the terminology a little confusing . . .

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
You can simply create a second profile for your new scanner. While any of the Favorites lists that you already have, as well as any new ones you might tailor for the second scanner, will all show in Sentinel, you can use separate profiles, one for each scanner, that is set to download and/or monitor specific lists, while ignoring the Favorites that ere created for your first one. That also gives you the option, if you so choose, to cherry pick a current list or two that you may want to have available in both scanners.

Thanks, Steve.

You and Tim have clarified "what" I need to do, but I'm still a little confused about "how" to do it.

There seem to be two possible paths in Sentinel . . . one that can create a new "Profile" under the "File" pull-down menu, and another that shows a "Preset" profile under the "Select Profile" pull-down menu. The "Preset" profile option is located under the profile I created long ago for my old SDS100.

I'm not sure what my next step should be.

Thanks.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Hey Johnnie,

So there are actually those two ways to do what you are wanting to do. For me personally, I always create a new "File" if I want to start from the ground up. Like the other poster stated, you can create another profile with all of your old info and adjust it to however you like. Before you delete anything, please make sure you have backup in place so you don't lose all of your hard work.

The terminology is indeed confusing. You may want to create a new file first and see if that meets your needs. If it works, then you are all done :)
If not, you can create the new profile. I have never used the create a new profile function myself so perhaps some other radio heads can chime in.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Hey Johnnie,

So there are actually those two ways to do what you are wanting to do. For me personally, I always create a new "File" if I want to start from the ground up. Like the other poster stated, you can create another profile with all of your old info and adjust it to however you like. Before you delete anything, please make sure you have backup in place so you don't lose all of your hard work.

The terminology is indeed confusing. You may want to create a new file first and see if that meets your needs. If it works, then you are all done :)
If not, you can create the new profile. I have never used the create a new profile function myself so perhaps some other radio heads can chime in.

Thanks, Tim . . . that's very helpful information.

My backup information is my SDS100. I'm thinking that if I make a mess along the way I can always push the "Read from Scanner" button.

-Johnnie

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Me again, Tim.

I found a menu option in Sentinel to create a new "File" and another option that opens another profile labeled "Preset." The "Preset" profile has all my old information in it, which I suspect I'd need to delete to create something new. Do I want to create a new "File," or do I want to create a new "Profile" by means of the "Preset" profile option?

I'm finding the terminology a little confusing . . .
The "Preset" is the default one created when you installed Sentinel. You can either leave it named 'Default', and use it for your original scanner, or rename it (use "Save as" under the File drop-down menu) to "SDS100A" or however you want to tag them.

You can start by creating one or more lists for the new scanner. Then, access the Profile Editor and tailor the lists you want to use in the incomiing unit to be the only ones downloaded and/or monitored. Once you have the new profile settings created, then use "Save As" and create a name for the second profile.
Mine looks like this:
1600203305009.png
You get to that open pop-up by clicking the small icon that looks like a folder.

The "Preset" is what I use for my 436HPs. If you look at the bottom left corner of Sentinel, you'll see the Target Model.
1600203472656.png
As you see, I have a separate profile for my 536HP, and one each for the SDS100 & SDS200.

Be sure that the target model is set to the correct scanner model when you save a new, or updated, profile.
My backup information is my SDS100. I'm thinking that if I make a mess along the way I can always push the "Read from Scanner" button.

-Johnnie

Just remember that all of the Favorites lists, created or used specifically only one of the scanners, will show in Sentinel. If you delete a Favorites list because you don't intend to use it for the particular scanner you are programming, it will no longer be available in the profile for your second scanner.

Attachments

• 1600203601185.png
    1600203601185.png
    3 KB · Views: 10

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I would discourage a separate PATH or file locations method. That is fraught will bad things happening and requires you to do double work just updating the master database.

I suggest doing the File>New and creating a new Profile as many have suggested. If you re-create a Favorites List, be sure to give it a different name to avoid confusion later on.

An option to consider is exporting your Favorites List to HPE files, then deleting Favorites Lists for future re-build. When you have an HPE file, it is somewhat of a backup, as you can import it, which is essentially a restore function.

Ubbe

There's a third way. The proposed solutions only have different profiles but use a common database and common favorite lists. If you edit and change one favorite list for one SDS100 it will also change that list for the other SDS100, something you might not have expected or wanted to happen.

Install a second copy of Sentinel but choose a different folder for, it will ask what folder to use in the install process. Now you have two totally different Sentinels, one for each scanner and you can do edits for one scanner and it will not break anything for the other scanners programming.
There will also be two databases, one in each Sentinel, so you will need to update the database in both Sentinels. Just check in the second Sentinel in Tools/Options that the folder name at the end of the path actually says the folder where you did the second install. I have 4 or 5 different installs and there are absolutly no problem with that.

If you always use identical favorite lists in your different scanners then it's probably no point in creating severel Sentinel installs.

/Ubbe

N4DJC

So...

I have two profiles, one for a SDS100 and one for a SDS200, both have only one favorites list.

If I edit add or delete systems, departments, or channels, both profiles are changed?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
So...

I have two profiles, one for a SDS100 and one for a SDS200, both have only one favorites list.

If I edit add or delete systems, departments, or channels, both profiles are changed?

The fav list is used for both profiles... Correct...
If you want it different for both scanners... You need to add fav lists and set one or the other to load for each
individual scanner in there respective profile settings...

Last edited:

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I would discourage a separate PATH or file locations method. That is fraught will bad things happening and requires you to do double work just updating the master database.

I suggest doing the File>New and creating a new Profile as many have suggested. If you re-create a Favorites List, be sure to give it a different name to avoid confusion later on.

An option to consider is exporting your Favorites List to HPE files, then deleting Favorites Lists for future re-build. When you have an HPE file, it is somewhat of a backup, as you can import it, which is essentially a restore function.

Thanks for the information, ofd8001.

I like having options, but they can make life more complicated than I want it to be!

I need to do some more thinking before my next SDS100 arrives (supposedly by tomorrow).

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
My workaround is I use the "Copy Favorites List" on Sentinel, change the name in the new copy (ex. CPD SDS100/CPD SDS200) , this way I can make specific changes depending if I'm mobile or base. Then in the Edit section under Profile, I turn on or off the Monitor/Download depending on the profile I'm in.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
My workaround is I use the "Copy Favorites List" on Sentinel, change the name in the new copy (ex. CPD SDS100/CPD SDS200) , this way I can make specific changes depending if I'm mobile or base. Then in the Edit section under Profile, I turn on or off the Monitor/Download depending on the profile I'm in.

Thanks, werinshades! These workarounds are really helpful.

I'll probably pick the simplest path.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
There's a third way. The proposed solutions only have different profiles but use a common database and common favorite lists. If you edit and change one favorite list for one SDS100 it will also change that list for the other SDS100, something you might not have expected or wanted to happen.

Install a second copy of Sentinel but choose a different folder for, it will ask what folder to use in the install process. Now you have two totally different Sentinels, one for each scanner and you can do edits for one scanner and it will not break anything for the other scanners programming.
There will also be two databases, one in each Sentinel, so you will need to update the database in both Sentinels. Just check in the second Sentinel in Tools/Options that the folder name at the end of the path actually says the folder where you did the second install. I have 4 or 5 different installs and there are absolutly no problem with that.

If you always use identical favorite lists in your different scanners then it's probably no point in creating severel Sentinel installs.

/Ubbe

Thanks, Ubbe.

I really appreciate your expertise.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

N4DJC

If the favorites list has a different name under a different profile (SDS100 or SDS200, ie) changing one favorites list doesn’t change both, is that correct?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
If the favorites list has a different name under a different profile (SDS100 or SDS200, ie) changing one favorites list doesn’t change both, is that correct?

Correct..if you made any changes, I copy and paste into the other profile. I frequently update my radio ID's and that's the method I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.