Question about site 39 Cal Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregfab

I had occassion to travel to Lewiston today, via US 91.

In recent weeks I have been over to Tremonton area a few times and again today while on my way north I noticed that I was receiving Cache TG's on the Cal Mountain system more than not. Obviously I wouldn't be getting much off of the downtown Logan site and little from Logan Peak while in Box Elder, but today while I was in Cache Valley and still received a lot of the traffic from Cal Mountain, I got to thinking about that.

Back when implementation for us in CC was brand new, around October, I would listen from various locations (mobile) in the valley as well as from home in Newton. I recall back then I was also getting a lot of Cache TG's from the Cal Mountain site, just like I did today.

If this has been answered before in another thread and I missed it, I apologize, but is there a possibility that it's simulcast with the Cache system right now? Or is it just because the Newton Hill site is not working yet and units in the north end of Cache County have a better LOS to that site and acquire it instead of even Logan Peak?

On those recent trips to Tremonton I was able to follow the TG's of all of CC's "main players", whether they were on Law 1 or Law 2 or Fire TG's, which made me wonder if it's part of a simo, because not all of the users I heard were in the north end where there position may have allowed them to acquire Cal Mountain instead of another site.

Just wonder if anyone can help me understand what might be involved here.

Thanks in advance!

qlajlu

Silent Key
What you are experiencing is likely affiliation. Follow that link for a discussion on how it works. Now, what is causing the affiliation, if that is what's happening, might be grounds for a different discussion. With things being more or less in the infancy stage in the Cache area, many strange things could occur until all the bugs are worked out.

gregfab

Thanks for the link, that is as likely as anything I could have imagined.

As for strange things happening ... on my way back down from that Lewiston excursion, I was listening to a bank that only holds the Cache Simulcast site frequencies, open, to pick up any new Cache TG's that show up.

I picked up two units on talk group 2912 coming across a frequency assigned to Cache Simulcast. When I looked up that TG it says it is a Salt Lake County law enforcement TG.

Then I noticed that at least one of the non-control frequencies for site 53 is also listed on the Vernon Hills site as a non-control freq for that site.

Last edited:

qlajlu

Silent Key
There have been a couple of threads started concerning Cache and SL "hearing" each other. Don't exactly know why, but it seems to happen with some regularity. I've heard Cache from my home in Kearns, and wbloss was wondering about hearing the SL UHP in Cache one day. This UCAN system seems to be pretty robust and capable of doing some things that are not quite understood just yet. I've even heard the UCAN Engineers talking from Hurricane down in Dixie to their SL office and not long ago one of our members in SL commented on listening to law enforcement going on in St. George during spring break. That is a pretty healthy step for line-of-sight UHF without some kind of help.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Thanks for the link, that is as likely as anything I could have imagined.

As for strange things happening ... on my way back down from that Lewiston excursion, I was listening to a bank that only holds the Cache Simulcast site frequencies, open, to pick up any new Cache TG's that show up.

I picked up two units on talk group 2912 coming across a frequency assigned to Cache Simulcast. When I looked up that TG it says it is a Salt Lake County law enforcement TG.

Then I noticed that at least one of the non-control frequencies for site 53 is also listed on the Vernon Hills site as a non-control freq for that site.
HRd that one too - SL SO #6 or some such. I assume a SL car was within sigh of Logan Peak - that really has some coverage
Greg = check your PM
W

Junior1970

It's fun now...........

Wait until this years Cruise-In when they bring all the UHP Motors up for crowd control for Saturday night. In past years Logan Peak was very active with much Salt Lake traffic. Also was getting UHP South (19744) TG which is Utah County. With the next weekend being Easter prepare for more weirdness like this as Little Sahara in Juab County, the Jeep Safari in Moab and St. George all ramp up for action. Maybe no so much in Moab other than ICALL freqs that are point to point but here in Cedar Valley I get both the VHF from Juab and the Black Crook UCAN site which is west of there. A lot of different rraffic on a five channel site for one weekend. Now with what appears as more action in Dixie we may hear more action down there as well

Status
Not open for further replies.