Question about statewide digital systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

On a statewide digital system that has known talk groups on the DB but occasionally adds new ones that no one may not be aware of, How would you go about detecting those where if it scans and new ones come it will stop on them, Wildcards?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
If you are using a 500 or 600 yes. If it is something like the 396/996, then you would set the scan mode to 'search'. The 96/97 (and some other earlier RS models) you would 'open' the bank.

How to set these up is in the manual for the scanner.

There is also software that allows you to hook some scanners to a computer and it will record all activity on a specific control channel. Of course while this is running, the scanner is set on a specific control channel and is not scanning.

ampulman

On a statewide digital system that has known talk groups on the DB but occasionally adds new ones that no one may not be aware of, How would you go about detecting those where if it scans and new ones come it will stop on them, Wildcards?

If I understand your question correctly, most newer scanners have two modes of scanning systems: The BCD396T has search (find all) and scan (find programmed only); the PRO 96/2006 has open and closed modes.

I always use scan mode (396) while scanning, and if I see a TG come up that I do not recognize, I save it.

AM

D

DaveNF2G

If I understand your question correctly, most newer scanners have two modes of scanning systems: The BCD396T has search (find all) and scan (find programmed only); the PRO 96/2006 has open and closed modes.

I always use scan mode (396) while scanning, and if I see a TG come up that I do not recognize, I save it.

AM

Well, that clears things up.

So you use the "find programmed only" mode on your 396, then save any unprogrammed groups that happen to pop up. BZZZZZT. Not possible.

To the OP. The way we find new talkgroups is pretty much the way we always found new frequencies before everybody became reliant upon somebody else's database. We search for them, then we listen to them to figure out what they are.

btritch

The way we find new talkgroups is pretty much the way we always found new frequencies before everybody became reliant upon somebody else's database. We search for them, then we listen to them to figure out what they are.

I don't have a problem with that, That's what I was trying to do but I had to figure out how to add a TG so I could find it and listen to see who it is.. I think I have accomplished that with help from here, Thanks to all once again..

Status
Not open for further replies.