question about systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveh552

As I understand it, the PSR500 can only hold 20 systems. What is defined as a system? I am at a lost if 20 would be enough basically. Note, I do not own any scanner yet, but I am researching and want to make an informed choice when I buy. I do not want to buy one only to find that I do not have enough space for systems.

I travel some between Ohio and Memphis, so I would want to program my own home area plus systems between here and there.

Thanks

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Steve,

The PSR 500 can hold a nearly unlimited number of systems (there are limits based on memory and other things, but I just don't keep them in memory). Where the number 20 comes to play is there are 20 scanlists (actually 22 if you count 'favorites' and 'skywarn'). Each scan list may contain any number of systems. But most usually only enter one per list.

If you place more than one system (called a TSYS) in a scanlist, it is difficult to turn one on and the others off. There are numerous work arounds posted in this forum on how to do it. I'd do some searching (in the Uniden forum too) on how various users program their scanners. You may find someone who scans like you and that might help in making the decision on which scanner to buy.

The 500 is an excellent scanner and GRE keeps adding new 'features' (read that as bells and whistles) through firm ware upgrades. The scanner has been out less than a year and GRE has already issued five firmware upgrades. Some to fix bugs, but mainly adding enhancements.

steveh552

What is classified as a system? This stuff is really new to me, and I am reading and reading and reading daily but not understanding alot. I am use to using my VHF conventional systems only.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
a system is a group of frequencies shared by many agencies to better utilize radio frequency spectrum. Go to the wiki section on this website to learn how to program different TRUNKED systems in your area. Old CONVENTIONAL systems used a single vhf/uhf channel or 2/3 channels for all their communications.The advantage of trunked systems is the capability of large metro areas to communicate with each other using the same group of frequencies from 1 to as many as 40 in statewide systems!!! trunked systems assign a talkgroup id number associated with that particular agency within that trunked system. Example,my animal control agency for my county uses 03-014 on the county wide EDAC system. My local pd still use a conventional system of 14 channels in the uhf spectrum. The next county east of me uses a MOTOROLA system consisting of 4 main control channels. Hope this begins to help you search further on this great website to learn about systems in YOUR area!!! Happy monitoring!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.