Question about the Maritime Public Safety Radio Network (MPSRN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rclegion

Hi everyone I am from Miramichi, NB and our Fire Department is finally getting on the MPSRN system and I have a question. I have a Uniden BCD436HP digital scanner, will this work out of the box for the MPSRN or do I have to get the software upgrade to DMR from Uniden to get this to work for all none encryption channels ?

Can anyone else recommend another scanner that will work on the MPSRN this is new to us in Miramichi and I know a lot will want to upgrade from their old analog scanners .

Thanks in advance and any advice would be appreciated .

mciupa

Database Admin
For MPSRN you are good to go out of the box as it is P25 Phase I.

You can decide about DMR after you look at the database for other area entries and decide if it is worthwhile to pay to listen to those things. I don't see any DMR entries for Northumberland County.

rclegion

For MPSRN you are good to go out of the box as it is P25 Phase I.

You can decide about DMR after you look at the database for other area entries and decide if it is worthwhile to pay to listen to those things. I don't see any DMR entries for Northumberland County.

Ok thanks , they charge $60 to unlock your scanner for DMR , what does DMR entries look like in the database ?

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
ok thanks , they charge $60 to unlock your scanner for DMR , what does DMR entries look like in the database ?

DMR is listed in the database as DMR. 1621725772776.png However, I do not think there is very much of it in NB.

Can anyone else recommend another scanner that will work on the MPSRN this is new to us in Miramichi and I know a lot will want to upgrade from their old analog scanners .

Any scanner capable of 700 MHz and P25 Phase 1 will work just fine. There are probably a half dozen or more to choose from.

Last edited:

mciupa

Database Admin
This is all I see under conventional listings:

144.89000VE9SJN-DMR-SiteSaint JohnSaint JohnNB
163.08000Dieppe Travaux PubliqueWestmorlandWestmorlandNB
171.78000CC 6
TG 1
SL 1
Saint John TransitSaint JohnSaint JohnNB
452.61250Confederation Bridge Repeater (MotoTRBO)WestmorlandWestmorlandNB

rclegion

DMR is listed in the database as DMR. View attachment 104042 However, I do not think there is very much of it in NB.

Any scanner capable of 700 MHz and P25 Phase 1 will work just fine. There are probably a half dozen or more to choose from.

So it will work if I understand it correctly then? I'm looking for a desktop model to use.

Uniden BCD996P2 Digital T.T. IV, Close Call, 25000 Ch, 4Line Alpha display Base/Mobile, Phase 2

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
So it will work if I understand it correctly then? I'm looking for a desktop model to use.

Uniden BCD996P2 Digital T.T. IV, Close Call, 25000 Ch, 4Line Alpha display Base/Mobile, Phase 2

Yes, the 996P2 would work just fine. I have 2 handhelds, the Uniden BCD325P2 and the RadioShack PRO-651. Both work great on the system.

rclegion

So right now Miramichi Fire Department are still being dispatched on 153.770 on the old style paging system. Will this be the same?, will they still be dispatched the old way on the pagers and then once in the trucks use the new radio?

I am thinking that they would all need new pagers for the system or will the system work on the existing pagers.I'm just thinking the old analog scanners could still be used to hear the call outs at least for those that don't have the P25 digital scanner yet .

Thanks everyone this group is amazing . I will add that it is rumored that the Miramichi FD , Police etc... will switch to this new system on May 28th 2021 .

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
So right now Miramichi Fire Department are still being dispatched on 153.770 on the old style paging system. Will this be the same?, will they still be dispatched the old way on the pagers and then once in the trucks use the new radio?

I am thinking that they would all need new pagers for the system or will the system work on the existing pagers.I'm just thinking the old analog scanners could still be used to hear the call outs at least for those that don't have the P25 digital scanner yet .

Thanks everyone this group is amazing . I will add that it is rumored that the Miramichi FD , Police etc... will switch to this new system on May 28th 2021 .

Paging will remain the same, and most departments will continue to use their own current systems unless they have the money to replace radios. There is only one P25 pager on the market from Unication but it is not authorized by Bell for use on the system.

That is how it works here in PEI anyway for the Fire Service. MPSRN is used for Mutual Aid and for contacting dispatch. Only fire departments that can afford to switch do, and that is only if they have good coverage in their area.

rclegion

Paging will remain the same, and most departments will continue to use their own current systems unless they have the money to replace radios. There is only one P25 pager on the market from Unication but it is not authorized by Bell for use on the system.

That is how it works here in PEI anyway for the fire service. MPSRN is used for mutual aid and for contacting dispatch. Only fire departments that can afford to switch do, and that is only if they have good coverage in their area.

Ok thanks. Well if that is the case then people with analog scanners will still hear the call out but not on scene etc.... . Will post once they switch over and say what they are using . Thanks again

rclegion

Heard them testing Dec 53197 calling Miramichi Fire Control, so this might be their dispatch channel. I will submit info once we get to know more channels when it goes active . If they are testing, they are probably close to putting the new radio system in service in Miramichi .

BC_Scan

Delziel045 said:
DMR is listed in the database as DMR.
1621725772776.png
However, I do not think there is very much of it in NB.

According to my search in TAFL under 7K60 Emission designators there are many users of DMR in NB
so be careful what you are suggesting, just because the RR database does not list does not mean they are not in use.
Also just because IC says its DMR does not mean that it is actually that.

Status
Not open for further replies.