Question About Trunked Systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fischlerpromo

I live in L.A., our LAPD are on trunked systems.

The way I understand it, it's many channels within a frequency. This didn't exist when I had my Bearcat 350,(before Uniiden).

So for instant, the Van Nuys PD are on freg. 506.712...how does a scanner find the other channels within this freq. so you can follow the conversations?

If I don't seem to know what the hell I am trying to say, it's probably because this is all new... This trunking of the systems.

Thanks!!

ampulman

Somehow, you have drawn a false conclusion.

Before trunking, a city might have many frequencies assigned to it; each department having one or more frequencies. This required that a large chunk of the radio spectrum be assigned to that city--a wasteful situation, as many frequencies would sit idle most of the time.

Enter trunking. A trunked system might have 10 (actual number depends on the requirements of the city) frequencies. When a user wants to transmit, his radio requests a channel from the system. A control channel (one of the 10 frequencies) assigns one of the 9 remaining (idle) channels.

This is repeated as more users request a channel. Usually, the system will always have idle channels available.

So, if a dispatcher is talking to a mobile unit, the system will assign a channel each time the transmit button is pushed. In effect, the conversation will jump from channel to channel (all invisible to the users).

Your scanner must have the ability to track trunked systems built in.

For more information, click the WIKI button at the top of the page.

Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.