Question about updating stored data on Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I regularly update the RR database via Sentinel and download it to my beloved SDS100.

Does anyone know whether or not that process changes or otherwise updates the data I already have stored in the radio? I'm not seeing any differences in the local systems I've stored in the radio's memory, but those systems haven't changed much in a very long time. I'm more interested in whether or not some of the really large systems I listen to (e.g. the Colorado statewide digital trunked system), which are revised much more often, are automatically updated.

It seems that if the updated information remains only in the radio's stored RR database, then I'd have to delete and re-install the entire system to include such things as new talkgroups or site frequencies.

Whistler's programming software (I also have a TRX-1) asks if you want to update the stored information in your radio after you've updated the database in the software. I've never followed up on that option because I'm afraid I'll lose stored data such as new or corrected alpha tags I've laboriously programmed into the radio.

Thanks for the help!

-Johnnie

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Favorites Lists are not affected at all when you update the main database.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe that updating the database has any effect on your favorites. You'd have to make changes on your own. However, you should be able to append changes only without affecting everything else. So, if you do extensive editing of alpha tags as you're suggesting, your changes will not be overwritten.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Favorites Lists are not affected at all when you update the main database.

Thanks, Paul.

I was hoping I could have my cake and eat it, too! I wanted the stored alpha tags to remain the same while the radio went about updating other info such as new talkgroups and site frequencies. That's probably 'way too much to expect . . .

I hope you're doing well!

-Johnnie

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe that updating the database has any effect on your favorites. You'd have to make changes on your own. However, you should be able to append changes only without affecting everything else. So, if you do extensive editing of alpha tags as you're suggesting, your changes will not be overwritten.

Thanks, bob550.

As I noted above in my response to Paul Opitz, I was hoping the radio/software would leave the alpha tags alone and update other system information such as new talkgroups and site frequencies. Getting a little lazy in my old age . . .

Happy monitoring!

-Johnnie

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, bob550.

As I noted above in my response to Paul Opitz, I was hoping the radio/software would leave the alpha tags alone and update other system information such as new talkgroups and site frequencies. Getting a little lazy in my old age . . .

Happy monitoring!

-Johnnie
I think that level of Sentinel functionality is probably several versions in the future. :)

gillham

Feed Provider
Johnnie - if you have ProScan you can always import certain portions of your favorites list, and then remove duplicates. Albeit it's time consuming if you're doing it every week.
What I think several of us do, is monitor the RRDB for changes on things we're interested in - and then edit our favorites list accordingly (a lot less work that doing the dedupe cleanup).

bob550

Premium Subscriber
What I think several of us do, is monitor the RRDB for changes on things we're interested in - and then edit our favorites list accordingly (a lot less work that doing the dedupe cleanup).
That's the approach I prefer. So long as you check the RR database frequently enough, it's relatively easy to make minor additions/deletions to your favorites list, even using Sentinel. Unless you have a system in a state of flux, it isn't really necessary to check for updates all that often. Trust me, once you've done the manual programming required of a Unication, using Sentinel or ProScan is a piece of cake, haha.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Johnnie - if you have ProScan you can always import certain portions of your favorites list, and then remove duplicates. Albeit it's time consuming if you're doing it every week.

I've been doing just that for the smaller local systems I monitor, gillham, but some of the big systems are much more difficult to scrutinize for updates and changes.

I may try the ProScan option someday . . . thanks!

gillham

Feed Provider
I've been doing just that for the smaller local systems I monitor, gillham, but some of the big systems are much more difficult to scrutinize for updates and changes.

I may try the ProScan option someday . . . thanks!

You get a 30 day trial with ProScan from the time you install it, so give it a go.
I’d recommend saving off a backup if your DB/Favorites list before messing with it as you learn.
ProScan is very much worth it if you’re trying to update GPS and Ranges, for location based scanning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.