• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about using an external speaker on a CDM radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
If I were to use an external speaker on my CDM1550ls like this,

When you plug it in to the back of the radio does it disable the internal speaker in the radio or do both speakers work?

Can you control the volume of the external speaker with the volume control on the radio head?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Both speakers will work and the volume control will work for both, simultaneously. If you want the control head speaker disabled, you'll have to dismantle the head and physically unplug the speaker. Up to you.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
We’ve talked about this subject with the CDMs many times before. This a very, very good addition to a mobile install and some base station installs.

The audio quality is greatly improved and you’ll have more volume without distortion if needed.

FWIW, I always add the remote speaker on all of my mobile installs for the above reasons.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If I were to use an external speaker on my CDM1550ls like this,

That's a lot of money for that speaker. But getting it with the 16 pin connector already installed has some value. Be aware, the CDM's have a 20 pin connector, but the 16 pin connectors will seat in there just fine. The two outer pins on each side are not needed and won't interfere with this plug.

When you plug it in to the back of the radio does it disable the internal speaker in the radio or do both speakers work?

Can you control the volume of the external speaker with the volume control on the radio head?

The others answered this, but I'll add:

I have several CDM's in use for various purposes. For base use, it's mounted under the cabinet in the kitchen. The internal speaker is loud enough to be heard through the whole house.
In my wife's car, 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid, the internal speaker is fine.

In my truck (F350 Diesel), as well as a Polaris Ranger, the external speaker is a great addition. I can drive my truck down the highway at 65mph with all the windows rolled down and the audio is loud and, more importantly, clear. In the Polaris, I can be riding down a trail at 35 mph with a full face helmet on and the radio is loud and clear.

They are a great addition to any mobile, as Steve said. The larger speaker cone really helps with audio intelligibility.
I played around with disconnecting the internal speaker in my truck. I didn't really notice any difference. If anything, the smaller speaker in the control head added some to the high end audio. I hooked it back up and have left it that way.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Fantastic, this is exactly how I was hoping it would operate.

I'm mostly wanting to get some volume outside the vehicle when needed, nice to know it will improve audio quality as well.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Fantastic, this is exactly how I was hoping it would operate.

I'm mostly wanting to get some volume outside the vehicle when needed, nice to know it will improve audio quality as well.

Yeah, roll down your windows and crank it up. A CDM with the large Motorola speaker will make your ears hurt. You'll have no problem hearing it outside the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.