question about volunteer FDs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

car2back

this is OT, I know, but I figued we have a wide variety of people on here and someone might be able to help me:

Does anyone know who or to what agency city ran volunteer fire departments in the state of Oklahoma are accountable to? Is it the State Forestry Dept?

Who would you contact to file a complaint with if you felt they were being negligent in their duty?

thanks,
Phil

n4voxgill

Silent Key
you said city volunteer fire department. If it is an incorporated city then there should be a mayor or a city manager. It should be a real complaint.

AsstChief

It depends on how the department is incorporated. Of course if they are within the city the mayor or city manager. If the department is a fire district then the county commissoners govern them. Although most volunteer fire departments are either a title 18 or 19, I can't remember. Anyway those departments govern themselves and there really isn't anyone that can dictate what they can or can not do. You might could call the rural fire defense coordinator for that department to see if they could assist. Departments in Creek County are covered by Paul Simpson.

car2back

n4voxgill said:
It should be a real complaint.

Not answering their emergency phone, not responding to calls, a 45+ minute response time.... Channel 2 even did a story on them.

Usually what will happen is a citizen will call, say "hey, I have been trying to call the FD for 10 minutes, no one is answering", I'll take the information, then try to call them myself. No answer. so then I will page all the firefighters directly on thier alpha-numeric pagers. When that doesn't raise a response, I call the town's mayor at home to tell him. Then 30 to 60 minutes later (if they respond at all), someone will get on the county sheriff repeater and ask for directions. I usually tell them "I didn't get any, I paged the reporting party's phone number to you, maybe YOU should call them, we are not your dispatch." that is usually followed by "uh.....tin-four cownie".

I am a volunteer firefighter, and know first hand the problems that go along with being a full volunteer group. but showing up to a wreck as lifeflight is lifting off with the patient when you were needed there for patient extrication is unexcusable. having a deputy radio in to dispatch to cancel my fire deartment beacause they put it out themselves is something I would be ashamed of to hear on a scanner!

I would just like to get the problem corrected before some is injured or dies!

Last edited:

rush2112ok

AsstChief said:
Although most volunteer fire departments are either a title 18 or 19, I can't remember.

Fire District in most counties fall under OS Title 19.901. But the title talks about how the Board of Director for each district will operate. But, nothing directly about fire operations.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
No mutual aid? I would just tone out the department next to this one. Sounds scary to have an hour long response time. That probably doesn't help your house insurance rates.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
phil_smith said:
Not answering their emergency phone, not responding to calls, a 45+ minute response time.... Channel 2 even did a story on them.
!

Sounds to me like it has already been reported by the television news. I doubt if you will be more effective than they are.

CommShrek

phil_smith said:

Usually what will happen is a citizen will call, say "hey, I have been trying to call the FD for 10 minutes, no one is answering", I'll take the information, then try to call them myself. No answer. so then I will page all the firefighters directly on thier alpha-numeric pagers. When that doesn't raise a response, I call the town's mayor at home to tell him. Then 30 to 60 minutes later (if they respond at all), someone will get on the county sheriff repeater and ask for directions. I usually tell them "I didn't get any, I paged the reporting party's phone number to you, maybe YOU should call them, we are not your dispatch." that is usually followed by "uh.....tin-four cownie".

I am a volunteer firefighter, and know first hand the problems that go along with being a full volunteer group. but showing up to a wreck as lifeflight is lifting off with the patient when you were needed there for patient extrication is unexcusable. having a deputy radio in to dispatch to cancel my fire deartment beacause they put it out themselves is something I would be ashamed of to hear on a scanner!

I would just like to get the problem corrected before some is injured or dies!

Kellyville? I think I saw them on the news. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The problems you stated though are common to most small rural volunteer departments in our area. Actually, make that nationwide to my understanding. Daytime volunteers that are available are hard to find. Most people are at work. Myself, I work a part time job as well and I'm not around very much anymore. There's about 100 reasons why folks would want to work instead of respond to life threatening situations for FREE. If you're like me an you enjoy your job, that's the route to go. I have a good full time job and a FUN part time job. It's better to get paid to have FUN than volunteer and not. I'm trying to keep it short....

I've run into all of the problems you've stated above. Not much you can do. Although, we fired a guy on our department and he bought a broke down POS fire truck and started his own department. He hardly goes anywhere, when he does, he parks on the side of the road and sits in his truck, doesn't have a dispatch, doesn't even have a jurisdiction, etc etc...

car2back

Twobravo said:
Kellyville? I think I saw them on the news. Correct me if I'm wrong.

yes, that is them.

I understand what you are saying. since I have began working where I do now (and enjoy it!), I find less and less time to spend just hanging around waiting for a page.... but still, we staff enough volunteers so that there will be enough to respond to call. Although I don't think that is the problem with Kellyville.... when you call the fire phone and it rings once and soomeone picks up then hangs up, there is something else the matter....oh well.

Although, we fired a guy on our department and he bought a broke down POS fire truck and started his own department. He hardly goes anywhere, when he does, he parks on the side of the road and sits in his truck, doesn't have a dispatch, doesn't even have a jurisdiction, etc etc...

a fire dept whacker? wow.... sounds interesting! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.