Question about Walton County TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdhall54

Premium Subscriber
Is Walton county currently using the OARS trunked radio system? I live in Gwinnett county and not hearing CC traffic on my SDR setup or TRX-2. All frequency data I’m using is from RR and FCC listings. I live less than 8 miles from the Gwinnett/Walton border and would at least thought I would receive the listed CC.

N8IAA

What are you expecting to hear? Walton county has been 'E'' for quite a while. And, yes, they are on the OARS system.

DanRollman

Database Admin
What are you expecting to hear? Walton county has been 'E'' for quite a while. And, yes, they are on the OARS system.

I've never listening to that system, but I'd suspect that unencrypted Oconee County (and, to a lesser extent, Greene County) talkgroups can sometimes (or even always) be heard on the Walton County simulcast if useful for coverage overlaps and roaming is allowed - just as Forsyth County talkgroups can often be heard on the Cobb Simulcast on their system.

I will be interested in what pdhall54 finds if he is able to get his SDR setup to receive the Walton County simulcast and log active talkgroups for a while.

pdhall54

Premium Subscriber

I've never listening to that system, but I'd suspect that unencrypted Oconee County (and, to a lesser extent, Greene County) talkgroups can sometimes (or even always) be heard on the Walton County simulcast if useful for coverage overlaps and roaming is allowed - just as Forsyth County talkgroups can often be heard on the Cobb Simulcast on their system.

I will be interested in what pdhall54 finds if he is able to get his SDR setup to receive the Walton County simulcast and log active talkgroups for a while.
I realize that most traffic is encrypted, was just curious if I could at least checkout the system using SDR/DSD+. Maybe listen to Walton EMC (yawn). Just baffled why can’t seem to hear the control channel at the very least.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I've never listening to that system, but I'd suspect that unencrypted Oconee County (and, to a lesser extent, Greene County) talkgroups can sometimes (or even always) be heard......

You stated you've never listened to this system, understood, but I have, and I have heard only blips of unencrypted traffic out of Greene Co. and Oconee Co.

I believe they are well on the way to have the whole OARS encrypted.

pdhall54

Premium Subscriber
You stated you've never listened to this system, understood, but I have, and I have heard only blips of unencrypted traffic out of Greene Co. and Oconee Co.

I believe they are well on the way to have the whole OARS encrypted.
What control channel freq. are you using, 856.5625?

U2flyer

I am VERY familiar with this system. Walton County is the primary site to the OARS system. Members of Walton County Fire, SO, EMS, MPD/Fire, Loganville PD/Fire, Social Circle PD/Fire all use APX4500s, APX 6000s M1s with some M2s around. Public Works for the cities and county uses XTS2500s (currently in upgrade). All public safety channels are Phase 2 but do revert to Phase 1 ocassionally due to some random portables in the wild that are still XTSs. The EMS to hospital channel is Phase 1. All public works channels are Phase 1. Walton County do not have Oconee or Green County coverage per frequency. Also “roaming” is not programmed in any Walton County Radio. They are linked via talkgroups. The “OARS” talkgroups are unencrypted however very rarely used. 8Call/Tac and 7Call/Tac are more used. All Walton County and cities public safety channels are strapped with encryption and public works are unencrypted. Loganville units have Gwinnett programmed in their radios so they can get on the Gwinnett system. Social Circle has access to Newton via a Newton portable are the fire stations (Newton is Harris OpenSky). GSP has Walton Radios with them. If you want to monitor Walton you are out of luck. It will more than likely never be unencrypted again. You can hear Walton on VHF *sometimes* but don’t hold your breath. You can hear Walton if you monitor the local Airlife 6 and 2 freqs and AE117 on HEARS and State Fire VHF. Dispatch Patches the VHF to a Tac channel for EMS to make contact. I hope this answered your question.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
What is this "Unencrypted Greene and Oconee county" the other poster was referring to? I haven't heard it when I'm thataway

Are the 7/8 call / TAC's used there Digital or Analog?

U2flyer

Both per NIFOG 1.6.1A. I am sorry I am not able to provide any more information about Oconee or Green. I simply no nothing about their infastructure or programming. The idea behind OARS was to be a regional system however due to egos, disagreements and money (the lack of it) many years ago the system did not expand. It may in the future but time will tell.

DanRollman

Database Admin
What is this "Unencrypted Greene and Oconee county" the other poster was referring to? I haven't heard it when I'm thataway

As I noted above, I can't hear this system, but the RR database does not show Greene and Oconee County talkroups as encrypted. If you're saying you've listened to the Greene/Oconee Simulcast and found that the Greene and Oconee County talkgroups are encrypted (which would not be entirely surprising given Walton is encrypted) then we simply need to update the database to reflect that.

Reactions: RRR

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Understood, but your post indicated they were "Unencrypted", thus me wondering what you had heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.