Question about weak signal redistribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterGB

I just found this forum and am a new member. I hope someone can give me some insight into how to go about what I would like to do. I've had a handheld scanner for many years and listen to it all the time. I would like to mount an outside discone antenna for better reception but since I am always moving my scanner around the house, it isn't practical to run coax all over the place. Is it possible to install a signal booster close to my antenna to eliminate running coax. This would be similar to the cell phone boosters that people use to receive and boost/re-transmit cell signals. Are there devices available to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Greg

RFI-EMI-GUY

It would potentially oscillate and cause severe interference to licensed services.

The cellphone boosters amplify a very narrow band of frequencies and have circuitry to detect oscillation and reduce gain.

There is no commercially available booster for all the frequencies a scanner can receive.

You can install a preamp and multicouper/splitter and run cables to multiple rooms to connect your scanner.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Does your house have an intercom system? I know a firefighter who feeds his scanner into the aux input and has coverage of the whole house.

MisterGB

Does your house have an intercom system? I know a firefighter who feeds his scanner into the aux input and has coverage of the whole house.
Thank you for the suggestion and taking the time to reply. I don't have an intercom system
get a baby monitor, put the base monitor next to your scanner (and turn your scanner on)and carry the portable monitor with you around the house.
It works, i have done it many times.

Valeriy

Just feed the audio from the scanner to the line-in jack of your PC, and listen with bluetooth earphones/headphones.
Obviously that implies the display will not be always in sight.

Another option could be to build a passive repeater: it is just an internal multiband aerial connected with the external discone aerial...
More knownledgeable people will tell whether that is a good idea or not...

Ubbe

One solution could be to use a scanner that can be remotly controlled. The Siren program for iPhone and Android devices for Unidens advanced scanners and TRX suite for android devices for Whistlers advanced scanners. You see everything on the remote devices display and can control the scanner as well as listen to the audio. It works in your local WiFi coverage. You can also use the streaming software that ProScan offers for free if you have a scanner that supports that program.

I use remote software when I'm fiddling with antennas on the roof or with coaxes to keep control over what happens with the received signal.

/Ubbe

a417

stream it to your local network so you can listen on your phone via wifi wherever you are in the house. This way you can stream whatever you want, no one else has access to your listenings or networked devices and you're right as rain.

a417

stream it to your local network so you can listen on your phone via wifi wherever you are in the house. This way you can stream whatever you want, no one else has access to your listenings or networked devices and you're right as rain.
...and if you VPN in from outside your house, you can access it anywhere you have data and no public facing open ports or services.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
SDS200 and the 536 can be directly connected to the network and stream digital audio, and be remotely monitored and controlled with Siren or ProScan. Install the scanner where you can have a short coax run, then use the network to forward the audio to wherever you're listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.