Question about WISP antenna and a weather station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamakzie

I currently have a wireless internet provider who uses 900mhz equipment aimed on my roof to a tower about 1/4 of a mile away. I found out that my weather station is a 900mhz frequency hopping technology. Sometimes my ISP connection will drop packets and become somewhat unstable. Granted I didn't realize the equipment used the same frequency till recently. Also the Weather station is right above the WISP antenna on the same pole. Would moving the weather station eleviate the possible interference or will I have to take down the weather station completely? It has a 1000' range according to its specs. I'd like to keep the Davis Vantage Vue station but if its effecting my WIFI its got to go I guess. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You said the WISP antenna is aimed and therein lies a clue. Relocate the WX station behind it as far as possible and see what happens. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Kamakzie

Well I eliminated the weather station and the connection still is poop. I guess the tower is just super overloaded. They are supposed to upgrade this ancient equipment soon. I bought a new tripod and pole to remount the weather station on the opposite side of the roof.

Kamakzie

You said the WISP antenna is aimed and therein lies a clue. Relocate the WX station behind it as far as possible and see what happens. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Amazingly the guy at the WISP said it would be best if I could move the weather station to the side somewhere away from the WISP radio instead of behind it..

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There's better and then there's best, side lobe rejection assuming horizontal polarization is greater than the front to back ratio. Well, since you still have a ship load of BER, (packet problems) maybe you should rethink wireless and go with cable or FiOS, both have internet "business class" services if you don't want to piggyback on TV.

Now go put the WX station back.

Kamakzie

There's better and then there's best, side lobe rejection assuming horizontal polarization is greater than the front to back ratio. Well, since you still have a ship load of BER, (packet problems) maybe you should rethink wireless and go with cable or FiOS, both have internet "business class" services if you don't want to piggyback on TV.

Now go put the WX station back.

HAHA! I'd love to take that option but I live in the sticks where wifi is my only option *vomits*.

Status
Not open for further replies.