Yaesu: Question About Yaesu and 70CM Simplex Talking

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyBennett

Newby
Hello All, I am having a little problem that I can't figure out but I know that some smart radio guy here can help me with. I am very new to amateur radio and I am still playing with my equipment and learning. I have a Yaesu FT3DR and a Yaesu FTM300-DR which I am trying to set-up for daily use. My understanding is that 446.000 is the 70CM National simplex frequency. On both of my Yaesu radios I can not simply press my PTT button and talk on that frequency. When I set up 446.000 as my RX frequency my PTT button shifts the TX frequency to 441.000. I do not know how to correct this little issue. I have studied my manuals and I do not see where I can eliminate the offset.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to clear up my confusion.

Thank you,

Rocky

nd5y

Read the manual again. There has to be a section on repeater operation and how to change from simplex to +/- shift direction and offset. Some Yaesu radios have a menu setting for Automatic Repeater Shift (ARS). You need to disable it. It is mostly useless. If you already have 446.0 programmed into a memory channel you will have to change the offset to S and then overwrite (or delete and save) the memory channel.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
For the ft3dr Page 81, section 14. Automatic repeater shift. You'll want it off for simplex use.

nd5y

...l you will have to change the offset to S...
That should be change the repeater shift direction to S or OFF or whatever the manufacturer calls simplex is on that radio.
Offset makes no difference when the shift is set to simplex.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much. I will have a quick look into this and post back.

Thanks again.
No problem. I can see how someone could easily miss that in the manual. That book is huge since that radio can do so much. I knew what I was looking for and it still took me a couple minutes. If you're using a paper manual you may want to download the pdf version. You can use the search function and navigate it a little better. The glossary isn't exactly the most helpful sometimes.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I don't know the posters location, but 446 simplex is dead in the Baltimore Washington Area. I have made a lot of contacts by calling out and monitoring 146.52.

I only have made on contact on 446 even with trying. That contact was with someone leaving the Richmond, VA hamfest this year, so they were basically on the same parking lot.

Many 2M/70CM repeaters and 2 meter simplex frequencies in use, just not the 70 CM National one.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I don't know the posters location, but 446 simplex is dead in the Baltimore Washington Area. I have made a lot of contacts by calling out and monitoring 146.52.

I only have made on contact on 446 even with trying. That contact was with someone leaving the Richmond, VA hamfest this year, so they were basically on the same parking lot.

Many 2M/70CM repeaters and 2 meter simplex frequencies in use, just not the 70 CM National one.

I'd say it is mostly dead for sure in the Baltimore area; however, I have heard and participated in a couple of conversations on 446.000 using Fusion south of the city.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm pretty sure that the OP didn't ask about activity on 446.000 MHz. He asked how to program it into his radio as a simplex channel. Can you help with that?

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
For the ft3dr Page 81, section 14. Automatic repeater shift. You'll want it off for simplex use.

To be more precise, you do this:

[Option 1] - Press & hold DISP -> CONFIG -> #14 RPT ARS -> OFF
**This turns off the ARS feature -- so the radio won't 'guess' what shift you need)
[Option 2] - Press & hold DISP -> CONFIG -> #15 RPT SHIFT -> SIMPLEX
**This turns off the shift on the frequency you're on (temporarily or until you save it into a memory channel.) This doesn't turn ARS off however.

It should be noted that turning off ARS doesn't set the shift. You will need to set that in #15.

Status
Not open for further replies.