Question: Can I leave scanners on 24-7 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
I have five scanners I turn off/on several times a day.
Just curious, would it hurt the radios to just leave them on 24-7?
thank you for your time and have a great day

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
My old Pro-2004 was on from late '86 until 2017, with a break to get fixed when I messed it up doing a mod on it. Still works fine.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't the only one listening to the old Pro-2004. Gus spent a lot of time next to it.
gus2004.jpg
This was his preferred place to sleep, with or without me, and he would look at the scanner a lot, especially when one particular Toledo Police dispatcher came on. A couple of days after this pic was taken, he was gone at the ripe old age of 14.5

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I'd recommend programming you units to turn off the display after X amout of seconds a transmission is over. Over time, the backlight of the display can dim down. Allowing it to turn on and off when needed should extend the light of the backlight by many years.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Living in Tampa pretty much excludes leaving equipment connected, let alone turned on 24/7. That would be begging for a lightning hit.

NC1

I would strongly suggest at minimum a surge suppressor power strip. Storms can come up out of nowhere sometimes, and I have seen power spikes from arcing wires take out all kinds of electronics. It is also good for lightning strikes close by getting into the lines.

DJ11DLN

I had my old BC560xlt running in the shop for several years, primarily listening to local Fire Dispatch. The only time it was off when during power outages, no surge suppressor, connected to an old RS mag mount on the metal roof without the benefit of a lightning arrestor. It still works great though I've long since removed it from that dangerous setup.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
This was his preferred place to sleep, with or without me, and he would look at the scanner a lot, especially when one particular Toledo Police dispatcher came on. A couple of days after this pic was taken, he was gone at the ripe old age of 14.5

Find peace in knowing you gave him a good life! Sorry for your loss.

tampatracker

Gus looked like he really had a ear glued to that scanner! A true scanner enthusiast, and mans best friend to boot. May he Rest In Peace, and sorry for your loss. Been there.

wbswetnam

Many of us run online scanner feeds, which means of course that the scanner is running 24/7. For my current scanner feed, I use a Uniden BC125AT, but I used to use an old ten channel Bearcat 142XL. It ran non-stop for 18 months, no problem. It only went off when we lost power.

wtp

i have 5 older radios that are on about 14 hours a day
i am in Florida, so they are all on surge/battery backups.
i still use a pro2001 and a 2004 with the display on low since the day i got it new (1980 something).
the wife wants the 396XT on all day and night, house musak.

N9JOD

Premium Subscriber
I buy my equipment to use. So mine are on 24/7. I'm not going to sit around worrying about lighting. If lighting is happening, then that would be the best time to be listening. Yes it is possible to have an issue if left on all the time. But most scanners I've fixed were because the scanner was turned on and off all the time and the power button/nob was dead. Or a component died due to powering the scanner up to many cycles. Leave them on and enjoy them. I don't feel bad fixing or replacing something I use all the time.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Most of mine are on 12-15hrs a day everyday, and I lived in lightning-prone Florida for 22 years, up here for 8 now. Computers, too. I have replaced computers many more times than I have scanners....

Status
Not open for further replies.