Question: Can I leave scanners on 24-7 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry for your loss! May Gus rest in peace.
Find peace in knowing you gave him a good life! Sorry for your loss.
Gus looked like he really had a ear glued to that scanner! A true scanner enthusiast, and mans best friend to boot. May he Rest In Peace, and sorry for your loss. Been there.

Thanks, but he's been gone 20 years now, and the ones who came after him, King and Molly have been gone over 6 years now. Gus is the one of all my dogs that I miss the most. He was the hardest dog I've ever seen to housebreak, he chewed stuff up that should and could have killed him without a bit of trouble, and of all my dogs, he was the "doggiest" in his habits, including rolling in anything disgusting. He was scared of everything too. King was a total 180 degree turn from Gus. King and Molly were housebroken in days, and while Molly had her fears, King was only scared of the vacuum cleaner, everything else he either ignored or actually would watch, like fireworks and thunderstorms. Gus was insanely scared of other dogs, unless pushed to far, then he was downright scary in the damage he could do with that insane bite power. King didn't care how old/young another dog was, if it was bigger than him, he was boss and that was it, and if pushed, he had fighting skills that let him win fights he shouldn't have, even when he was an old geezer who "Took no S&$t!", and to be honest, it didn't take much of a push to set him off. Gus's power with King's "evil genius" would have made a dog that would have caused a lot of trouble for me. King was a handful the way he was.
The Evil One, all 55 pounds of him, on his throne(His when mom wasn't in it) at about 2 years old:
KING.jpg
He was one tough little dictator.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have left my radio(s) on 24/7 and I have 3 surge protectors all of them have a battery 1 for computer & tv 2 for modem & tv 3 scanners and charge my phone. I live in FL and I feel lighting is bad enough I unplug them all. I got where I don't leave much stuff on during or away from home since my area has new crazy weather the past 2 years. Seems more power surges from the power lines to power outages.

tampatracker

Thanks, but he's been gone 20 years now, and the ones who came after him, King and Molly have been gone over 6 years now. Gus is the one of all my dogs that I miss the most. He was the hardest dog I've ever seen to housebreak, he chewed stuff up that should and could have killed him without a bit of trouble, and of all my dogs, he was the "doggiest" in his habits, including rolling in anything disgusting. He was scared of everything too. King was a total 180 degree turn from Gus. King and Molly were housebroken in days, and while Molly had her fears, King was only scared of the vacuum cleaner, everything else he either ignored or actually would watch, like fireworks and thunderstorms. Gus was insanely scared of other dogs, unless pushed to far, then he was downright scary in the damage he could do with that insane bite power. King didn't care how old/young another dog was, if it was bigger than him, he was boss and that was it, and if pushed, he had fighting skills that let him win fights he shouldn't have, even when he was an old geezer who "Took no S&$t!", and to be honest, it didn't take much of a push to set him off. Gus's power with King's "evil genius" would have made a dog that would have caused a lot of trouble for me. King was a handful the way he was.
The Evil One, all 55 pounds of him, on his throne(His when mom wasn't in it) at about 2 years old:
View attachment 72008
He was one tough little dictator.
Yes I have had a couple pass on me too and getting a new one (after a period of time) seems like a good way to honor them. And I believe they drop in for a visit every so on to. Cheers!

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Yes I have had a couple pass on me too and getting a new one (after a period of time) seems like a good way to honor them. And I believe they drop in for a visit every so on to. Cheers!

I'm one of those people who don't wait long at all. I start looking immediately. Between Gus and King and Molly coming, it was like 2 weeks and felt like a year. When Molly then King went, I had a dog all picked out, a Pit pup that a friend of mine and his wife rescued from some idiots, and then I thought about it. I can't walk him, I can't do a lot of stuff since I got hurt, so I passed on him, and I have cats now. Not the same, but they are entertaining in their own weird way. The pup is now like 6, and he stayed with my friend. He has a whole pack of dogs he lives with. He's actually the smallest adult at about 85 pounds, the biggest is 212 pounds last time he was weighed, and he is the scariest dog I've ever seen, but he likes me and I like him, but that stare is spooky. So I get to see the dog that would have been mine all the time and he somehow manages to summon the spirit of Gus, and he head butts me, jumps on me, etc, like Gus used to.

tampatracker

And to get back on post, I've run multiple scanners of almost all makes 24/7 with no problems at all, no display failures, nothing.

mkt853

My SDS200 has been running 24/7 since I got it in early February with no issues.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
The only time I had a problem and I don't even know for sure if it was related to the radio and it's wall wart being plugged in and running all the time, was when I came home one day and my BC-9000 XLT was dead. It ran so hot, I thought that was the problem, but the Ac Adaptor had checked out. I've lost VCRs, sat receivers, CB's to lightning strikes, but never a scanner.

danesgs

I wasn't the only one listening to the old Pro-2004. Gus spent a lot of time next to it.
View attachment 71863
This was his preferred place to sleep, with or without me, and he would look at the scanner a lot, especially when one particular Toledo Police dispatcher came on. A couple of days after this pic was taken, he was gone at the ripe old age of 14.5

DJ11DLN

The only time I had a problem and I don't even know for sure if it was related to the radio and it's wall wart being plugged in and running all the time, was when I came home one day and my BC-9000 XLT was dead. It ran so hot, I thought that was the problem, but the Ac Adaptor had checked out. I've lost VCRs, sat receivers, CB's to lightning strikes, but never a scanner.
When I got my BC560xlt back in I think it was '89, I bought a pair of them so I could give one to mom for her birthday. Mom was something of a scanner nut in a non-technical sense and the old BC3 was getting obsolescent for the local agencies. Since hers was to be a base, I checked the power requirements and bought a wart for it at RS. The wart lasted 6 months and died. After I replaced it twice more (always during winter or spring) I finally twigged that where she had it plugged in was directly over a furnace vent. And she wasn't willing to compromise on where the scanner was. Luckily she was willing to tolerate an extension cord to get the wart out of the heat blast that was cooking them. If there was a facepalm emoji I'd insert it here.

mccleway

I use a BC15XT for a 24/7 Broadcastify feed, & I never turn it off. It's connected to a dedicated battery back-up system which allows it to stay running even during extended power outages. It's been on for 5+ years at this point.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I fired up the 2004 after sitting in a box for over 2 years and it worked perfectly. Not much to listen to, but it does what it always did.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
He listened to the scanners better than he listened to me. he was kind of dopey and stubborn. And when I told him "you have to stay home", I would get this look for a second, and then he wouldn't look at me for a while, and if I talked to him, he would sigh loudly.
It's about 230am, about the time we would get into the truck to go watch trains on my days off, and eat all kinds of great stuff. Last time was 2 days before the end. King and Molly would go later on, but it wasn't the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.