Question concerning talk group breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I have a question concerning a talk group. I have entered everything in to my digital truncking scanner (all freqs including the control and alternate controls) and I can hear all of the radio traffic fine. But, that is my problem. I hear all of the fire, rescue, and police along with the buses and public works and so on. I see on the list pertaining to the talk group I am listening to that there are Decimal Format and Hex Format. My question is how or can I program my scanner to hear just the fire, rescue and police without all the rest using the decimal format? I have a PRO-197 scanner from Radio Shack and the talk group I am listening to is the Upper Maryland Eastern Shore Consortium. Thanks for any and all help.

Ok I don't know how much help I will be. You say you have all frequecies in including alternate and control channel. You only have to put in the control channel in red and the alternate ones if you want. You dont need to put all frequencies in. I see the area your in is analog and digital. Set your scanner to Motorola 800/900. Also check your homestate Maryland forum. I'm sure somebody there might be able to help you also. Good Luck :)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yep, posting a question in the Maryland forum would be your best bet. Make your title reflect the scanner and system you wish to hear, so you don't get nailed for a duplicate posting

I'm a confirmed Uniden guy, but it sounds like whoever programmed your scanner didn't set up the system as a trunking system, so you're hearing everything - regardless of any scan lists that may or may not exist (I'll guess you had a RS guy do the programming - and they used Scancat Lite Plus...). We have a resource that might be useful to you...(all links are in blue)

GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Here you will find a link to the Easier to Read manual for that radio, as well as a link to a shortcut file that shows you how to program. There's lots more here, too - most folks will say that using software and a USB cable is the way to go. The FAQ addresses these issues as well.

A premium subscription would allow you to use an app to download data from our database, and from there, you can manipulate it to create scan lists - lists of talkgroups that represent only those you really want to hear. You can read about subscriptions by going to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over About then clicking on Our Premium Services

73 Mike

dougr1252

It sounds like you have a wildcard talkgroup, but nothing else. The wildcard is the first thing you create when you set up the trunking system if you did that all correctly. This just lets the scanner follow every talkgroup that becomes active, one after another. What you need to do now is use the "PROG" "NEW" "TGRP" function to create some talkgroup objects for the agencies you want to listen to. Use the decimal numbers only and make sure to link the new TGRPs with the right TSYS and the scanlist where you want them to live. Scanlist 1 is the default if you can't find them. After you get these entered, then you need to lock out the wildcard group or you'll still hear everything like before.

Hello everyone, I have a question concerning a talk group. I have entered everything in to my digital truncking scanner (all freqs including the control and alternate controls) and I can hear all of the radio traffic fine. But, that is my problem. I hear all of the fire, rescue, and police along with the buses and public works and so on. I see on the list pertaining to the talk group I am listening to that there are Decimal Format and Hex Format. My question is how or can I program my scanner to hear just the fire, rescue and police without all the rest using the decimal format? I have a PRO-197 scanner from Radio Shack and the talk group I am listening to is the Upper Maryland Eastern Shore Consortium. Thanks for any and all help.

Status
Not open for further replies.