Question for a backyard set up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if this kind of set-up would work for a temporary/portable solution for my HT in my backyard. I would use a piece of PVC approx 10Ft tall, with a metal electrical outlet box, on the box would be an NMO mount for a dual band (2/70) antenna.
Screenshot 2022-08-02 142846.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Grey PVC electrical conduit will handle UV exposure better than white irrigation type PVC pipe.

At 10 feet tall, you'll need something like 1 1/4" pipe if you want it to be somewhat rigid and not flop around.
EMT (metal) conduit would solve both the UV and floppage issues.

Get an NMO base adapter that has the ground radials. Even if you are using a dual band antenna that doesn't require a ground plane, it'll work better with one.

Sink the end of the conduit into a bucket full of rocks, dirt or concrete and it'll probably work pretty well.
Other option would be to get a large tripod. More money, but easier to set up and haul around.

Most NMO antennas need a ground plane so make sure you have it if the antenna needs it. Also, PVC pipe turns to crap rather fast in direct sunlight. I would recommend painting the PVC pipe if its going to be outdoors for very long.

I'm planning to paint the PVC. I'm currently just using leftover parts from other projects.

Grey PVC electrical conduit will handle UV exposure better than white irrigation type PVC pipe.

At 10 feet tall, you'll need something like 1 1/4" pipe if you want it to be somewhat rigid and not flop around.
EMT (metal) conduit would solve both the UV and floppage issues.

Get an NMO base adapter that has the ground radials. Even if you are using a dual band antenna that doesn't require a ground plane, it'll work better with one.

Sink the end of the conduit into a bucket full of rocks, dirt or concrete and it'll probably work pretty well.
Other option would be to get a large tripod. More money, but easier to set up and haul around.

If I decide I like this setup, I'm planning to switch to a more durable PVC and/or add a tripod. Is there a way to add ground radials to an NMO mount? As mentioned above, I'm using stuff I had in the shed for this project, so if I can avoid buying another mount and just use the one I already have, that would be preferable.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I believe this is the sort of thing mmckenna is talking about for using an NMO mount antenna in a base situation:

Exactly, except NOT Tram/Browning or any of the Chinese brands. We can do better than that.

You can make your own pretty easily. Mount the NMO mount on a metal electrical box and use 3-4 ground radials about 20 inches long attached to the metal plate. Space them out evenly (120º or 90º).

a417

Do you need the junction box hanging off the top, on one side? Why not just throw an endcap on the pipe and the NMO on that, or utilize the box at the top of the PVC as the mount?

Do you need the junction box hanging off the top, on one side? Why not just throw an endcap on the pipe and the NMO on that, or utilize the box at the top of the PVC as the mount?

I don't "need" it there, but the one box I have with 1 disk punched out, is the one I'd be using for this. The rest have multiple disks popped out (and are in much worse shape). That's why I choose the way I drew out. Although I'm not opposed to buying another box and mounting it to the top of the pole. May provide a bit more stability as well (no weight hanging off the side). Thanks for the suggestion.

mmckenna and AK9R, thanks for the info!! I may look at configuring my own radials, as none of the examples (or my own Google searches) seem to mount onto the mount I already have. (For reference I have this mount that I plan to use)

BMDaug

I am licensed…
This is what I would get based on what you describe (the N model). Much more substantial counterpoise and built in pole mount. No electrical box required. It’s not the cheapest solution, but it’s nice and clean and it’s made in the USA.

-B

BMDaug

I am licensed…
If the OP wants to go cheap he could make radials out of coat hangers and use a screw and washer to hold them down to his outlet box. Or mount the NMO to some thin sheet metal and solder or bolt the coat hangers to that. It doesn't need to be pretty to work.
Ya. I used brazing rods. They are something like $0.40 each and are 3’ in length, so if you bend them 90 degrees and attach one on either side of the mount with a self tapping metal screw, you end up with four radials of approximately the right length.

-B

This is what I would get based on what you describe (the N model). Much more substantial counterpoise and built in pole mount. No electrical box required. It’s not the cheapest solution, but it’s nice and clean and it’s made in the USA.

-B

I looked at that one while doing my Google searching. It'd be nice when I decide to actually make something nice, but for now I'm just trying to make use of what I have on hand. So "nice" isn't super important right now. (Wanna see how much use I'll get out of this before dumping money into it)

If the OP wants to go cheap he could make radials out of coat hangers and use a screw and washer to hold them down to his outlet box. Or mount the NMO to some thin sheet metal and solder or bolt the coat hangers to that. It doesn't need to be pretty to work.

This may be the route I go. I'm not necessarily looking for "cheap", I'm just looking to use what I have (for reasons mentioned above). One day if this gets the use I think it will, I'll build better and nicer.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Here's a Laird available from an Amazon seller: Laird MBC

And, from The Antenna Farm: Laird Connectivity MBC
On this note, sometimes the 7/800MHz version is significantly cheaper and they are usually less to ship as the radials are only 4” long… the important part is the mount with the radial holes. The radials are held in place by set screws and you can easily buy music wire of appropriate diameter, cut to length and leave the 7/8MHz radials in the box…

-B

So, I'm assuming you mean do something like the picture below (looking from the top, yellow disk being the NMO mount, the 2 silver disks being screws/washers, and the brown lines representing the radials).

PVC Top View.png

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
That would work and its cheap and dirty. Mostly dirty.

So, I'm assuming you mean do something like the picture below (looking from the top, yellow disk being the NMO mount, the 2 silver disks being screws/washers, and the brown lines representing the radials).

View attachment 125429

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
At that price point ($110), I'd just as soon get a dedicated base antenna!

k6cpo

Coat hangers will rust. Aluminum rod would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.