Question -- for eveyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0KM

I was just wondering, what is everyone's class here? Of the (what is it) 700,000 licensed amateur radio operators, roughly only 10% make Extra. I am wondering what is the percentage here on this message board.

I am just curious, what is everyone's class, how long have you been involved in Amateur Radio, are there any family members that also hams, and their class as well. (Calls are optional, but if you have a regular or vanity call, if so, your former calls)

I will lead off.

I have been involved since 2009 (although I was into scanners for 20 years before that). I got my Tech in April 2009, made General in February of 2010, and made Extra (finally) in May of 2011. My call was KD0HMI, but I changed it to a vanity 2 X 2 in June, getting my city and my initials KC0KM (Kansas City Zero Kelly McClanahan).

My father, although had his first taste of ham radio, some 50 years ago, he did not get his Tech until 2010, and made General in May (same day I made Extra), and made Extra back in September. His call was KD0MEG, but found out that his old roommate in college call was available, and got it W0UVX (he had known it for 50 years, so he has known his call longer than he has been a ham LOL).

N5TWB

Became a no-code Tech in 1991, stayed there until becoming a General this past October, studying for Extra now with plans to test in January.

KR4BD

I've been continuously licensed since 1975 and have held ALL classes of amateur license....Novice, Technician, General, Advanced and, currently Extra (since 2000). I also hold a GROL (General Radio Operators License). My wife is a General and has been licensed since 1979. My two grown sons hold Tech licenses.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Licensed since 1975, Extra. My wife is a Tech. I have the same call I had in 1975.

majoco

Stirrer
Merchant Navy Ship's Radiotelegraph Operator's Licence - 1964.
Royal Naval Reserve Radiotelegraph Operator 1st Class - 1968
What you call "Extra" - 1982
Flight Radio Telephone Operator's Licence - 1982

KC9ICE

I started in radio with a CB in my pickup in high school around 2000, started using public safety VHF & UHF with EMA in 2002, became a ham (tech) in 2005, and just upgraded to general last weekend. I would like to obtain extra someday, but i'm not in any real big hurry. Also, KC9ICE is the only ham call i've had; its not a vanity.

jaymatt1978

Tech 2000 -- very easy to remember when my renewal is up!!!

General 2002--actually took the code test on a dare FD 2001 AND passed, took the General written FD 2002, one day shy of when my code was going to expire!

Extra ??? who knows I was going to take it on the 10 year anniversary of getting my Tech now I might do it the 10 year anniversary of getting my General

elk2370bruce

First licensed as a Novice in 1960. Tech about six months later. Gravitated away until five years ago and hold my General (with code passed) will finish Extra when my vision improves after a sroke in May.

SCPD

QRT
'73

Licensed in 73.
Got my Extra as soon 20 wpm was no longer a requirement.
Also got a GROL and CET, both long before I got the extra.
Not even sure where those are, to tell you the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.