• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question for someone to give me help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBobTerp

Hi
I recently purchased Midland - GXT1000VP4, 50 Channel GMRS Two-Way Radio - Up to 36 Mile Range Walkie Talkie for my job. Now the reason I use these radios is I work in a cargo dept and I communicate to other tug drivers and their boss to let them know when there is freight that needs to be picked up. So I live in Lehigh Valley and some times the radio picks up other people traffic on the same channel we use. Then we change channels and it will work fine. Now I see that the radio has GMRS feature. I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me and my coworkers to use a GMRS channel? Also can someone please help me links and how do we go about getting a license so we can use all GMRS frequencies and not get fined or anything else. Also would there be a better radio for us to use that has a strong frequencies that we can use and nobody else can bleed threw our communicates. Also help with us maybe to program tones or something like that with radios I have so then maybe nobody can come on our channel.

Hopefully someone understands a bit on what help I’m looking to do. Here is the manual like so u can help me with those me and my co workers and boss and keep our operations going. Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi
I recently purchased Midland - GXT1000VP4, 50 Channel GMRS Two-Way Radio - Up to 36 Mile Range Walkie Talkie for my job. Now the reason I use these radios is I work in a cargo dept and I communicate to other tug drivers and their boss to let them know when there is freight that needs to be picked up. So I live in Lehigh Valley and some times the radio picks up other people traffic on the same channel we use. Then we change channels and it will work fine. Now I see that the radio has GMRS feature. I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me and my coworkers to use a GMRS channel?

Since these radios will put out more than 2 watts, they would require a GMRS license to legally use.
If your reason for switching to a GMRS channel is to get away from other users, that may or may not work. It won't be a "private" channel, it's still shared with everyone else, including licensed GMRS users that could be running with more power and more efficient antennas than you are. That could mean your interference issues could actually become worse.

Also can someone please help me links and how do we go about getting a license so we can use all GMRS frequencies and not get fined or anything else.

Also would there be a better radio for us to use that has a strong frequencies that we can use and nobody else can bleed threw our communicates. Also help with us maybe to program tones or something like that with radios I have so then maybe nobody can come on our channel.

GMRS and FRS are shared services. If you want your own channel with no other users, your employer would need to license a business channel. Expecting privacy or no interference on FRS and GMRS channels is not a reality. One of the requirements for using these radios is that channels must be shared.
More power will not prevent interference. In fact, it may cause more interference to other licensed users.

Hopefully someone understands a bit on what help I’m looking to do. Here is the manual like so u can help me with those me and my co workers and boss and keep our operations going. Thanks

If the FRS channels were working fine, stick with those. No need to get a GMRS license. The way the GMRS licenses are set up, your employer would not be able to get a license that covered all users. The only way to do it legally is for each family to get their own license. That'll run $70 for a 10 year license. Each individual family would need to apply and receive their own GMRS license from the FCC. No exceptions.

Your best approach is one of the following:
1. Use the guide on Page 8 of the manual to set your "privacy codes" for the channels you use. Make sure each and every radio is set up the same way. This will not prevent interference, but will keep your radios quiet unless someone else has their radio set up the same way.
2. Combined with #1 above, try different channels until you find one that is quiet. Remember, FRS/GMRS are both shared services and you will not have your own private channel, licensed or not. There are also people out there that will intentionally attempt to set up their radios for the sole purpose of interfering with you.
3. If 1 & 2 above do not work, get your employer to contact a local two way radio shop and work with them to acquire a licensed frequency and suitable radios.
4. Try some MURS radios. They will not work with your existing FRS/GMRS radios. They are on a different band. There is often less users on those channels, however it is still a shared radio service. MURS does not require a license from the FCC, however like FRS, it does require following the FCC rules.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Or, better yet, get your employer to purchase some of the Motorola DTR radios.
Those use 900MHz, do not require a license from the FCC and use Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum. You will essentially have your own channel and will not have issues with interference from other users.

JimBobTerp

So I’m confused can someone please give me a list of channels that are FRS and which ones or GSMR so I know not to use one of those channels without a license.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So I’m confused can someone please give me a list of channels that are FRS and which ones or GSMR so I know not to use one of those channels without a license.

Yeah, the manufacturers are not very clear on that.

Page 21 of the manual: https://midlandusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/GXT1000-Owners-Manual1.pdf
Channels 8-14 are the only ones that are FRS only.
Use one of those with a privacy code set and see if that does the trick. Increasing power if you are not having coverage issues is unlikely to fix your interference issue.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, the manufacturers are not very clear on that.

Page 21 of the manual: https://midlandusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/GXT1000-Owners-Manual1.pdf
Channels 8-14 are the only ones that are FRS only.
Use one of those with a privacy code set and see if that does the trick. Increasing power if you are not having coverage issues is unlikely to fix your interference issue.

I should clarify, all the channels are "FRS" only under the new rules if the power output is below 2 watts. Since this radio can do 5 watts (or so the manufacturer claims) it would fall under the GMRS rules for all channels with the exception of 8-14. Clear as mud? Yeah, welcome to the club.

JimBobTerp

Can u tell me how to increase the power on these radios if it tells u in the manual. Also what about channels 1 -7 are they FRS too

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Can u tell me how to increase the power on these radios if it tells u in the manual. Also what about channels 1 -7 are they FRS too

Channels 1-7 could be FRS or GMRS, depending on power output. Again, one of those nice little issues the FCC created to confuse us mortals.

See the chart on Page 10 of the manual for how to change power level.

Hans13

This simple combined chart may or may not help you see the overall layout and power levels. NOTE, the channel numbers on the chart do not line up with bubble pack channel numbers. They are just for reference; especially if you go to purchase other radios at some point. If it muddies the water for you, disregard this post.

FRS/GMRS combined channel chart - The RadioReference Wiki

WB9YBM

But the radio I have a good ones or should I should look at another one to get.

Midland's an established company & I've got an old Midland for the ham bands that's been working well for literally decades; given all that, I've got confidence in the radio...

Status
Not open for further replies.