Question for UPMAN (more than 10groups per system)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus

I don't know if this has been asked on here already, if so please show me the thread.

Someone recently (in general section) asked what features you'd want in a scanner other than provoice/opensky. I never really gave it much thought because so far all of the uniden scanners I've had pretty much did everything I wanted (minus the provoice)

Then I thought about it for a moment and now I'm curious why this hasn't been done, and what the possibility of doing this in future models are, at least try to get it added to the wish-list. It would certainly weigh on me upgrading.

Currently the models out (396/996) can only hold 20 groups per system. But only 10 of the groups can have quick-keys assigned (this is what I believe)

Why can't we have a scanner that has all of the groups assigned a quick-key?

My issue is having more agencies than quick-keys available, so therefore I have to end up combinding agencies to one group quick-key which becomes annoying.

I was thinking that if there could be a dedicated button on the scanner for GROUP and when pressing it would pull up a scrollable menu that would allow you to scroll through all 20 group keys that are configured into that system by display name and status if locked out or not, and let you choose to enable or disable that group at that time. Or if you press the "group" button it would then act like the [.] button by allowing you to enter in a group-key larger than 1 through 0, like [GRP]+20 would enable or disable group quick-key 20. or pressing [GRP]+15 would enable or disable group quick-key 15. Or just pressing [GRP] longer than a second would pull up a scroll list of all configured group quick-keys in that system. Then you can just dial through to the ones enabled and disabled to make changes as you wish.

The 10 quick-keys is very debilitating when you have more than 10 agencies on a system. And why even have the ability to have 20 groups if you can't assign a quick-key to each one???????

that's my beef, and my wish-list. So how doable is that?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Multiple channel groups within a system can share the same GQK, so all 20 can have a GQK (just not a unique GQK).

nexus

My question was what the possibility of a future model having each group have a "unique" GQK?

elsinga

In my 3500XLT I'm splitting up systems into groups organised by town name. Why? Because I now have the group name displaying the location and the channel name displaying the user of a frequency. Fitting both into 16 characters is a real challenge. ;)

Hower, this tends to create many, many groups... so I would really like 100 groups per system, with 100 GQK's ofcourse.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
True but some flash memory devices, and USB keys, mp3 players are limited to 7 subfolders under a main folder. So its not that uncommon.

However it would be a good idea...

Agreed. These artificial limits shouldn't exist with the DMA architecture. Is anyone's PC limited to 20 folders per partition?

elsinga

Some time ago I tested uploading 5000 channels to my 3500XLT and it started refusing them at number 3900 or so. And the memory info with 2500 channels is at 78% or so. Upman has replied that the 3500 also needs some internal memory for locked out frequencies and so, but I think about 1400 channels is a bit over the edge and the 3500 could easily handle 3000 channels. So why not? It's DMA. ;)

But hey, I'm very happy with the 2500 channels/20groups right now, but it limits my group/system design and what area's I can upload at one given time (my database now holds over 5000 channels and still growing... I'm only at half of the Netherlands, which is smaller than many US states anyway).

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with the 3500, but "channels" are counted as conventional channels + trunked frequencies + trunked TGID channels in Uniden America models.

Status
Not open for further replies.