BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Question for UPMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonefishn1

Is it ok to run the 436 on (2) 3.7 volt AA batteries? Will the internal power supply handle this? We could get a lot more run time on batteries if this will work.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
2 aa batteries are 3 volts. Putting 2 3.7 volt batteries in would be bad mojo and would most likely kill your 436.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
What do you expect to gain from this? Running more than double the required voltage can lead to nothing but trouble.

marksmith

I suspect the radio will run real hot for a while until it dies.

Why not use batteries intended for the radio?

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Is it ok to run the 436 on (2) 3.7 volt AA batteries? Will the internal power supply handle this? We could get a lot more run time on batteries if this will work.

Don't confuse voltage with amperage.

gonefishn1

N9mxq - I don't need guess work I would like to hear an answer from UPMAN.
Jaspence - more guess work and if you read my post you will know the answer to you Q.
Marksmith - same as above.
KK4JUG - I am not confused. I understand voltage and current very well thank you.

gonefishn1

My question should have been more like this: Does the 436 limit or control the input voltage from the battery's or does it just take the .3.6 - 3.7 volts supplied by the battery's?? If yes, what is the maximum voltage we can supply?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Guess work?? Well, I GUESS you could try it, and then come crying back here once you fry the circuits in your scanner.

I GUESS you could ignore what is basically the same answer from 3 different people. Even though they're not Paul..

I GUESS you could wait for an answer from Paul.. Which would be the same answer you've already been provided.

We tried Guys..

gonefishn1

Really? Really? I didn't know that you guys designed this radio, If only I would have known that, I could have saved some time and asked you all. Since you are the experts you should be able to answer this question. What is the maximum input voltage the 436 can handle? And answer that for the bcd325p2.
And don't give me your guess. Anyone can guess. I can guess.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Overvoltage

gonefishn1, I answered from 50 years experience building electronic kits and doing computer and radio repair. I guess I should have been more blunt and told you it was a stupid idea and would lead to the predictions of the other honest answers.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's designed run on USB power or 3 AAA batteries. The compartment was designed for 3 AAA batteries. They furnish you with 3 AAA batteries. If anything else was possible, someone, including Uniden, would be selling it. Get the chip off your shoulder.

gonefishn1

jaspence - I apologize, I'm sorry I didn't know that your an expert in electronics. I should just listen to you instead of the engineers and designers of the radio. Oh, you didn't answer my question. I'm sorry again.
Silly me for wanting to know the answer.

byndhlptom

436 battery

You are asking more than one question....

There is a maximum voltage from the battery terminals that it can tolerate

And there is a maximum voltage that the radio will tolerate at the DC input jack.

As the others have chimed in, the battery terminals are designed for AA batteries at 1.2-1.5v. Most charging circuits charge to 1.6-1.7v per cell. That pretty much determines max battery volts

DC input: 5VDC +/- 5%

per the manual:

3 X AA Rechargeable Ni-MH Batteries (2300mAh) (included)
3 X AA Alkaline Batteries (not included)
D V 5.0V ±5%. Connect to PC with USB cable (included)

You are dismissing a lot of technical knowledge, but that is your choice......

I definitely would not use 3.7v batteries in my radios!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
And don't give me your guess. Anyone can guess. I can guess.

No need to guess, just check the owner's manual. The specs are in there for a reason.

But it doesn't sound like you would believe that either.

gonefishn1

KK4JUG- No chip here. I apologize again. I didn't know your a designer of this radio. I should have known that with your response. I bet you have a schematic for this radio you can share with me.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
No, the 436 doesn't have a built in over voltage protection circuit. Approximately 5.5 volts is the max. Any thing over and your scanner will do a fry. Depending on the amount of over voltage how fast the fry will occur. There's a reverse voltage diode, but it will not protect from too much voltage coming in.
Two 3.7 vdc (?) equals ~7.4 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.