Question from California

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron1964

My HP II no longer works in San Diego due to radio system changes. I am going to give my radios to family near Broomfield. Will the HPII still work in that area and what can it receive? I don't see much in the database for the Broomfield area. Any advice? What system does the local police use?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
All public safety are on Front Range Communications Consortium (FRCC) which is currently mostly Phase 1, although it looks like Phase 2 might be on the horizon. Broomfield primarily operates on the North Metro Simulcast site which has some gnarly simulcast distortion. Broomfield Police are completely encrypted, so out of luck there. North Metro Fire provides fire and EMS for Broomfield and all Broomfield calls are assigned Ops B.

aaron1964

All public safety are on Front Range Communications Consortium (FRCC) which is currently mostly Phase 1, although it looks like Phase 2 might be on the horizon. Broomfield primarily operates on the North Metro Simulcast site which has some gnarly simulcast distortion. Broomfield Police are completely encrypted, so out of luck there. North Metro Fire provides fire and EMS for Broomfield and all Broomfield calls are assigned Ops B.
Thank you. That;s the information I was looking for. What about local sheriff and highway patrol? Would Denver PD work on the HPII?

aaron1964

Yes, the HP-2 does handle P25 Phase II, though it does not do as well on simulcast.
Correct. The HP II worked really good on Phase II but simulcast is hit and miss. You miss more traffic than you hear. Living in San Diego Metro area I need two or three scanners to pick up everything. Ditching my HP I, HP II and a 536 for an SD 200 and two SD 100's.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Thank you. That;s the information I was looking for. What about local sheriff and highway patrol? Would Denver PD work on the HPII?
Broomfield is a consolidated city and county, and therefore does not really have a local Sheriff. There are 4 surrounding counties of Adams County, Boulder County, Jefferson County, and Weld County. Adams County is on FRCC, Boulder County is on DTRS/conventional VHF, and Weld is on FRCC can be monitored. Jefferson County is completely encrypted. There is a massive trend of encryption statewide so this will likely change in the next couple of years.

For Colorado State Patrol, see the associated wiki article. I am not sure if the HP2 received any firmware updates necessary for it to follow Colorado State Patrol effectively.

Denver PD is completely encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.