Question From Newby About 2 Meter Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyBennett

Newby
Hello All, I have a very simple question that I know ya'all can answer. I am VERY new to amateur radio and I have a simple set-up. My radio is a Yaesu FT-2980 that puts out 80 watts in the 2 meter band. My antenna is a Comet GP-1. I am using 50 feet of Davis RF DRF-400 cable for my connection between the antenna and the radio.

Quick question. Do I need to tune the antenna or measure my SWR? I just connected the whole shebang together and I am generally happy, but I am wondering if I could get more out of this very simple system or am I good to go?

Thanks in advance,
Rocky

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
It is a good idea to measure the SWR to see that things are operating properly. I don't think there are any adjustments you can make to that antenna. If your coax and connectors have been installed correctly and you haven't noticed anything unusual then things are probably just fine.
BB

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The Comet GP-1 is a 2m/440 antenna with no tuning required. Measuring SWR or using an antenna analyzer is a good idea to make sure the entire system is working.

FCC rules and good practice suggest using the minimum power needed to communicate. Just because your rig puts out 80 watts you probably don't need to use it. My rigs are set at 5 watts and are full quieting into all local repeaters. I might go up in power for simplex if needed.

Good luck and have fun.

W5lz

I have to say that your set-up is a 'no-tune' one. There's no easy/simple way of tuning it. So, unless there's a problem use it. I only know of one sure way of finding a problem and that's by measuring things. All this still leaves you "up in the air", right?

Status
Not open for further replies.