Question on Another State of Georgia-licensed Fulton County Area Trunk System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey

Note this is separate from the smaller State of Georgia/Georgia Tech system that has been recently discussed in the forum....does anyone know what WQFS488 AND WQCP856 licensed to State of Georgia are for (links below)? There is no control channel on the air on this system that I can detect....system was granted by FCC end of 2014 and became effective 5/2019 and expires 2/2025. It has transmitter sites all through north and sound Fulton and one on Stone Mountain. The frequency pool is not part of MARTA, Atlanta, Fulton Co. or the aforementioned State of GA/Ga Tech system that carries GA Tech PD/HERO. Thoughts?

DanRollman

Database Admin
Note this is separate from the smaller State of Georgia/Georgia Tech system that has been recently discussed in the forum....does anyone know what WQFS488 AND WQCP856 licensed to State of Georgia are for (links below)? There is no control channel on the air on this system that I can detect....system was granted by FCC end of 2014 and became effective 5/2019 and expires 2/2025.

I think those may have been part of the old UASI system we used to have in metro Atlanta. Someone had a theory that a simulcast system with towers around the metro area would be useful for interoperability as an overlay on existing sites used by local governments around the area, and DHS was happy to give a big grant to fund some or all of it, so off it went circa 2007. Ultimately, it didn't see much use because it was expensive to join, it didn't have much capacity (thus was limited to interoperability and special events), and didn't have much in-building coverage in areas where it mattered. So it didn't offer much more than I-TAC repeaters do. As someone noted previously, it actually probably would have been a great system for HERO and GSP, where in-building coverage isn't so important but wide mobile coverage across the metro area is valuable.

Maybe we will see use of some of these frequencies again if the state / GA Tech system is built out. I have heard that may happen.

Reactions: RRR

Casey

Thanks Dan...it's interesting that it has fairly recent dates for operation in the FCC database...I have them saved in a special bank and will check for life from time to time. May just sit there on 'paper' for quite some time like some other things we've seen in the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.