• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question on base radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB3DYE

Silent Key
Has anybody had a galaxy base station radio? It seems that it's a quality rig.
Any input on your experience with the radio would be appreciated.

Last edited:

SnowWalker

I am using a Galaxy DX 959 SSB as both a base and mobile. I also have a 20 ft, Wilson vertical on my roof for the base radio. I have chatted with Death Valley, Nevada and someone in Kansas. I know this was due to atmospheric skip, but the Galaxy 959 is working just fine as a base radio. No scan feature however.

Bucko

I bought the 2547 new and used over a year for I got another base. It worked just fine when I used it, has good power on SSB and after about 15 to 20 minute warm it was pretty stable. Has really good audio and receive is good on AM & SSB. AM power variable 2 to 8 watts and SSB around 28 watts. Same board as the 959..

SnowWalker

I bought the 2547 new and used over a year for I got another base. It worked just fine when I used it, has good power on SSB and after about 15 to 20 minute warm it was pretty stable. Has really good audio and receive is good on AM & SSB. AM power variable 2 to 8 watts and SSB around 28 watts. Same board as the 959..

From first hand experience, but by no means a radio geek, my DX959 SSB as a mobile/base has been working just fine for what I expected of it.I could do a bit of mod tuning so need to open the back and do a little pot turning. My mod is sitting at about 75% max.

Bucko

Same radio as a Ranger 2950 with a built in power supply and a fancy cabinet

The 2950 is a 10/12 meter radio with surface mount technology. That is if you mean the RCI 2950 DX? My 2547 does not have Surface Mount Technology, but does have MosFet for final and driver.

Weaksignal

Has anybody had a galaxy base station radio? It seems that it's a quality rig.
Any input on your experience with the radio would be appreciated.

I had experience with the Ranger 2517 version, years ago. I noticed several wobbly knobs on their shafts, including the channel selector. The AC line cord was tied in a knot before exiting the chassis. These were two new units... Hopefully, their quality control has since improved.

Blackswan73

The 2950 is a 10/12 meter radio with surface mount technology. That is if you mean the RCI 2950 DX? My 2547 does not have Surface Mount Technology, but does have MosFet for final and driver.

The original 2950/2970 did not use surface mount, (the ones with the amber backlights). The board was the Uniden "export" board, same as in the Cobra 148DX, Galaxy 88, Galaxy Saturn, Mirage, Super Star, and a few others I have forgotten. Although these were marketed as 10 meter, or export, they were in fact designed for the freebanders, and would operate from 25-32mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.