Question on BCT-15 power supply buzzing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I've got my BCT-15 plugged into AC power with the included adapter. I'm not using a power strip, it's plugged right into the wall. What's interesting is that the "wall wart" portion is making a buzzing noise similar to a bumblebee.

1) Is this normal?

2) Is anyone else with a BCT-15 or a -996 experiencing this?

Thanks in advance!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
No that is not normal. Have you had any radio problems? At least 3 of these wall-worts have reported to have died a quick death. I would contact Uniden, they need to look at that one and give you a new one.

You may want to measure the output voltage with a voltmeter and see what it reads.

safetyobc

Blake,

I wouldn't worry. I have had mine for a couple months now and it is working fine. Even if the power supply messes up, Uniden can ship you another free.

I have enjoyed my BCT15. So much so the 2055 sat in the desk drawer since I got it. I finally sold it for some to fund some iPod accessories.

I finally am happy with my scanner set up - BCT15, BCD396T, and BR330T.

So happy in fact that the $500 I had set aside to purchase a BCD996T, I decided to use towards an iPod with video. I honestly couldn't find a use for the 996. I use my BCD396T in the truck and at home. The BCT15 works great as a base. And the BR330T I use at home/work etc. The 3 are a great team. If you are on the fence about the BCT15, take the plunge, you won't regret it.

matt

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Okay, thanks guys! I will get on the horn to Uniden and ask for a new one...

As far as radio problems, I might have seen the display flicker, but that could have been my imagination, too.

This is why the forums are so great. :cool:

Last edited:

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Closest item at Radio Shack is part number 273-1776, a 12V/1000mA AC to DC adapter.

The Uniden AC supply is shown at 13.8V/750mA.

Both would be center tip positive.

Would 12V at 1000mA power the scanner without any problems? If I remember correctly, I think the answer is yes. Just want to be sure.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
oregontreehugger said:
Closest item at Radio Shack is part number 273-1776, a 12V/1000mA AC to DC adapter.

The Uniden AC supply is shown at 13.8V/750mA.

Both would be center tip positive.

Would 12V at 1000mA power the scanner without any problems? If I remember correctly, I think the answer is yes. Just want to be sure.

Yes, that should work just fine.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Update:

First person I spoke to (the other day) said the AC adapters were on 6-8 week backorder and that I would need to send it proof of my receipt.

Second person I spoke to (today) said they had the AC adapters in stock and would get one to me immediately, with no receipt needed, they used the serial # off the back of my unit.

Thanks Uniden!!

bonus1331

As a side note, I really like the new design on the wall wart.
I also find it interesting that if the 15 is a non-digital "kissing cousin" of the 996, then why are the BCT-15 users not having issues with the backlight changing intensity like the 996?

John_M

bonus1331 Wrote:

As a side note, I really like the new design on the wall wart.
I also find it interesting that if the 15 is a non-digital "kissing cousin" of the 996, then why are the BCT-15 users not having issues with the backlight changing intensity like the 996?

This sounds like a recall issue. Voltage switching/Voltage regulation/amperage problems. The LED's are in series with a resister, the resistor has a voltage apllied to it. The resistors aren't changing their value and the LED's light output should be constant with constant mamps through them. I would send mine in for repair.

Last edited:

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Well, another update:

I called the Uniden Parts Dept. to ask about the status of my order and if it had shipped. Apparently the AC adapters for the BCT-15 are NOT in stock until at least 9/22. The last time I called they had misquoted due to looking up the wrong part number.

Argh! Go figure I am past the 30-day return date for the scanner...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.