Question on buying a new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

axeman23

I am a firefighter in Baltimore City and I would like to get a scanner for a friend of mine to listen to police and fire calls however I know very little about scanners. The last one I had was back when the city was on the VHF band. Can someone tell me which one I should get that won't kill a firefighter's budget?

troymail

Silent Key
I am a firefighter in Baltimore City and I would like to get a scanner for a friend of mine to listen to police and fire calls however I know very little about scanners. The last one I had was back when the city was on the VHF band. Can someone tell me which one I should get that won't kill a firefighter's budget?

These jurisdictions are now (or soon will be) partly or fully "digital" on the 800Mhz band:

Baltimore City
Baltimore County (coming soon)
Howard County
Harford County
Anne Arundel County (police are digital)

Your friend will need one of the following (which aren't cheap but you may be able to find some deals). Typical price is > $450...

TrunkedScanners

Look at the YELLOW highlighted lines/radios -- the newer the manufacture/release date the better

Best choices these days
Uniden BCD396/BCD996
GRE PSR500/600
Radio Shack PRO106

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually we have a much better article in the wiki - just click on the model number you want to research;

Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

And I would quibble about the 'best choices' - the 396XT and 996XT have, by all accounts, the better digital decoding than their older T cousins. And don't neglect the PRO-197- the base/mobile cousin to the PRO-106

73 Mike

axeman23

Thanks everyone, I kind of figured it would be a bit high for my salary but I appreciate the responses. I will just have to save for a while in order to get one. The GRE PSR500 is the one I will shoot for.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While you do that, do yourself a favor and get familiar with the radio so you understand the ins and outs. Our wiki article on the 500 will get you started (anything in blue is a link, both here and in the wiki)

PSR-500 - The RadioReference Wiki

Also pay close attention to the GRE forum here. Between these 2 resources, you should get a good idea of what is going on with this scanner

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.