• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Question on Digital Frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atms169

I am wondering, I have been listening to an APCO25 freq on 146.895 Mhz yet, my BC895 will not decode it. Is this because I have no control channel for this frequency punched in?

Tnx

electricsheep

atms169 said:
I am wondering, I have been listening to an APCO25 freq on 146.895 Mhz yet, my BC895 will not decode it. Is this because I have no control channel for this frequency punched in?

Tnx
No, your 895 will not "decode it" because it is digital. The 895 is not a digital capable scanner. Plus who are the amateur radio guys in town running P25?!

atms169

MatteBlack said:
No, your 895 will not "decode it" because it is digital. The 895 is not a digital capable scanner. Plus who are the amateur radio guys in town running P25?!
I'm an idiot, no I am running a BC396T and I am not sure what version of software it is, I have not updated it in months. Maybe it has something to do with it?

Well if you listen in the Calgary, AB area you will hear it every so often. I get a solid signal on my scanner and can here the transmissions (Just like CPS digital) and when I switch it to APCO mode I just get silence and yet, the signal bars are full scale.

Who's amateur?

SCPD

atms169 said:
I'm an idiot, no I am running a BC396T and I am not sure what version of software it is, I have not updated it in months. Maybe it has something to do with it?

Well if you listen in the Calgary, AB area you will hear it every so often. I get a solid signal on my scanner and can here the transmissions (Just like CPS digital) and when I switch it to APCO mode I just get silence and yet, the signal bars are full scale.

Who's amateur?
I have heard something similar in Edmonton. I found a couple of hams using some digital convertor sold by a third party company. My 396T would not decode it but another convertor did.

atms169

brechtd said:
I have heard something similar in Edmonton. I found a couple of hams using some digital convertor sold by a third party company. My 396T would not decode it but another convertor did.
Oh hams ok... Well I heard it again this evening and it still was a no go decoding it. I also did a google search and found this:

GOOGLE SEARCH: "146.895" Calgary

The HamGearS :: News & InformationTHE CALGARY D-STAR "PROJECT 2006". UPDATE - D-Star 146.895 -600 Digital

Looks like they have gone digital. Now I am wondering why the 396T can't decode it?

UPMan

Uniden Representative
Premium Subscriber
Because the transmission is D-Star digital encoded. The 396 supports only P25 digital decoding.

STiMULi

It is a whogivesadamnmode that will probably die because it is proprietary and to my knowledge currenly used in ham radio only.

SCPD

STiMULi said:
It is a whogivesadamnmode that will probably die because it is proprietary and to my knowledge currenly used in ham radio only.
Your comments sum up my thoughts on D-STAR completely.

What a waste of money D-STAR crap is. P25 works/sounds better, is compatible with other digital LMR comm's, and is CHEAPER to buy on eBay.

Leave it up to hams to do something the stupid/backasswards way.

Oh, and DSTAR doesn't support hardware encryption :)

Status
Not open for further replies.