• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question on G5 Series Battery Charging?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I don't have the G5 Series Pager yet debating to order one. I had a question on battery charging. Can you charge the battery alone in a charging base or needs to be charged through the radio if you have more than 1 battery?

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I don't have the G5 Series Pager yet debating to order one. I had a question on battery charging. Can you charge the battery alone in a charging base or needs to be charged through the radio if you have more than 1 battery?

I don't think there is a way to charge a stand-a-lone battery. Plus, there is a battery cover that takes a small screw driver to remove, so it's not quite as simple as switching one battery over to another. I charge mine overnight though, and I really haven't had any issues with it going dead before I'm ready to place it in the charger.

blackbelter

No , battery must be in place to charge . In order to safeguard the charging connector , I would recommend a desk top or amp charger . My G5 battery lasts between 10-12 hours with continues monitoring .

Last edited:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I don't think there is a way to charge a stand-a-lone battery. Plus, there is a battery cover that takes a small screw driver to remove, so it's not quite as simple as switching one battery over to another. I charge mine overnight though, and I really haven't had any issues with it going dead before I'm ready to place it in the charger.
Okay thank you. I wasn't too sure if stand alone or charge by radio.

No , battery must be in place to charge . In order to safeguard the charging connector , I would recommend a desk top or amp charger . My G5 battery lasts between 10-12 hours with continues monitoring .
10-12 hours is better than the sds100. Is that with display on or off for 10-12 hours?

LilTeddyP

Okay thank you. I wasn't too sure if stand alone or charge by radio.

10-12 hours is better than the sds100. Is that with display on or off for 10-12 hours?
Display typically turns on when call is received.

I also get 8-10+ hours on a busy p25 system on OLD batteries. I usually take them off about 9am and they don't start chirping at me until I get home well after 7pm

LilTeddyP

These magnetic charging adapters are a game changer if you don't need IPX ratings. They also don't work with the drop in docking station without modification (which I'll figure out here in a few days when my box of parts come in)
IMG_1321.jpegIMG_1322.jpeg

blackbelter

"10-12 hours is better than the sds100. Is that with display on or off for 10-12 hours"?

I have programed my G5 display to be on for a few seconds following each key up. . I only monitor one system and few talk groups thus the G5 battery last a long time.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
"10-12 hours is better than the sds100. Is that with display on or off for 10-12 hours"?

I have programed my G5 display to be on for a few seconds following each key up. . I only monitor one system and few talk groups thus the G5 battery last a long time.
Some people like display to stay on all the time or or turn off or some setup when a channel or tg is active. I have my sds100 set to be off to save battery.

DMAZ2022

Premium Subscriber
My displays come on when the TG is active, I've yet to run a battery dead. I doubt you'll need a spare battery.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Some people like display to stay on all the time
Too bad there wasn't an option to configure the display to simply dim to a pre-set level when there is no activity. Perhaps that might even be a selectable setting when the pager is either plugged in or sitting in a desktop charger. Just sayin.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
My displays come on when the TG is active, I've yet to run a battery dead. I doubt you'll need a spare battery.
I agree too bad just can't change them on the fly case if power goes out.

Too bad there wasn't an option to configure the display to simply dim to a pre-set level when there is no activity. Perhaps that might even be a selectable setting when the pager is either plugged in or sitting in a desktop charger. Just sayin.
That was my next question if you change the dim on the display.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
That was my next question if you change the dim on the display.
The display brightness can be changed in Main Menu, Function Settings. Manual, or Auto based on ambient light, are the options. But this setting is applied universally.

texas1313

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a couple of these, buy 2 get the 3rd one free. Can use the same cables for my G5 and cell phone in the house, office, and car.

www.ebay.com/itm/384897024094

If the link doesn't work, search eBay for "540° Rotate Magnetic Phone Charger Charging Cable For Micro USB/Type C/ iPhone"

Not only do they charge, but you can also program the radio. They have all the USB pins thru the magnetic connection. Really cool!

I unscrewed the plug cover off my G5 and stored it in the box. Not concerned about it getting wet or dirty. Also wont wear out my USB port by connected and disconnecting multiple times a day, or if the USB cable gets yanked on.

With the plug in, the radio still drops into the charger if I want to do that. Almost drops in perfectly, but not quite. It does go in far enough to charge the battery. Just have to be careful not to force it. That and the fact it sticks out a bit are the only negative aspects.