Question on manually entering DMR systems from the FAA Site info

Status
Not open for further replies.

imkesun

Premium Subscriber
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to wrap my head around the FAA Data (e.g. ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Trunked License - WPMW204 - Telepath Corporation)

On the frequency Tab it displays nicely the frequencies and IDs for the Sites listed in the location tab.
Sometimes the available frequencies for the mobiles exceeds the number of frequencies for the fixed sites.
Question(s).
Is this because the radios don't do TDMA but the fixed site does?
And is it therefore enough to enter the fixed sites??

Regards,
Ralph

PS: Somebody once posted a shellscript to analyze/extract the channel data from the saved .WAV files. Could that someone pls send me that script via PM? Thanks!

D

DaveNF2G

Site IDs in FCC data are not the same as the system site IDs that will eventually be assigned. The first "site" on the license is the first one entered into the computer by the FAA data entry person. Sometimes they put the mobiles in first, so "Site 1" is some radius around a set of coordinates.

Mobiles might be licensed on both input and output frequencies, or there might be extra simplex channels assigned for unit-to-unit communications, so they might have more frequencies authorized than the bases do.

Usually, you only need to monitor the repeater outputs, but if there are additional simplex channels, then you might want those also if you are close enough to pick up low powered transmissions. They should not be entered as part of the trunked system, though.

EDIT

You might already know this, but the FCC data might not be enough to tell you which type of TDMA will be used - P25 Phase 2, MotoTRBO, or something else. This information can be deduced from the authorized emission mask and can give you a starting point.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if I understand your question. Is your ultimate goal is to get this system programmed in your scanner?

If so, you might think about going to the full database section of Sentinel, expand it to Califormia>Santa Clara County and locate the Telepath Corporation. Then append it to an existing or new Favorites List and program that in your scanner. I just did that an it "seemed" to go okay.

imkesun

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if I understand your question. Is your ultimate goal is to get this system programmed in your scanner?

If so, you might think about going to the full database section of Sentinel, expand it to Califormia>Santa Clara County and locate the Telepath Corporation. Then append it to an existing or new Favorites List and program that in your scanner. I just did that an it "seemed" to go okay.

This is just one system. there are others who are not in RR/Setinel
Also FisherWireless has way more sites than I care to see for my area.

@DaveNF2G: Thanks for clarifying

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.