Question on RHWA-450-sbm antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

daggit

I just received the RHWA-450 -SBM Scanner Antenna from Arcadian. I'm pretty sure its helping my UHF and VHF but concerned that the BNC connection doesn't fully lock on my TRX-1. Seems there is a bump that prevents the antenna from fully locking onto the Whistler. Should that be a concern?

mule1075

Feed Provider
I just received the RHWA-450 -SBM Scanner Antenna from Arcadian. I'm pretty sure its helping my UHF and VHF but concerned that the BNC connection doesn't fully lock on my TRX-1. Seems there is a bump that prevents the antenna from fully locking onto the Whistler. Should that be a concern?
It has a tnc connection according to the website. If that is the case it is not going to lock on. And whatever you do don't try and force it to do so.

daggit

Thank you. The website said it was compatible with the TRX-1. I can’t rave enough about this antenna on the VHF and UHF bands the reception I’m getting is so much better and picking up freqs I couldn’t before. My only question is should I leave well enough alone even if it dosn’t lick or should I get some sort of adapter?

Mike_G_D

Thank you. The website said it was compatible with the TRX-1. I can’t rave enough about this antenna on the VHF and UHF bands the reception I’m getting is so much better and picking up freqs I couldn’t before. My only question is should I leave well enough alone even if it dosn’t lick or should I get some sort of adapter?
Yes, if it is a "TNC" connector you need a TNC to BNC adapter. The "bumps" are the locking pins for the outer shield connector of a BNC male connector which is what your scanner wants to use.

A TNC is basically a BNC which replaces the outer twist lock "bayonet" with a "screw-on" variation. Please don't force a TNC male onto a BNC female jack! Get the right kind of adapter!

-Mike

daggit

Thank you Mike seems to work fine with out an adapter. I did go back to the website and I'm seeing it says its a BNC fitting. I will get an adapter though. Im very happy with this antenna

daggit

Yes Mike gotcha on the threads. I don't get it. I don't see any threads but another person that replied here said the website says its a TNC connection. I see their website says its a BNC connection. Anyways I ordered a 6 dollar adapter from Amazon and will have it delivered here tommarrow.

Mike_G_D

Yes Mike gotcha on the threads. I don't get it. I don't see any threads but another person that replied here said the website says its a TNC connection. I see their website says its a BNC connection. Anyways I ordered a 6 dollar adapter from Amazon and will have it delivered here tommarrow.
That doesn't make sense, then. If no threads, then it should be a BNC...so you see the holes with slots to allow the bayonet twist-on to work? Is it just that the twist-on is too tight and won't twist all the way? Sometimes slight variations or poor quality BNC connectors are like that and don't adhere to the BNC standards correctly.

If no threads then that adapter won't help you. A TNC MUST have threads just like a BNC MUST have a bayonet twist-on system.

Can you post a picture of the connector end of the antenna and the connector of your scanner and one of how you have them connected together currently?

-Mike

Mike_G_D

I did go back to the website and I'm seeing it says its a BNC fitting.
I see you wrote the above - that's weird. Using the model number and Google it send me here: RHWA-450-STM: 10 Inch Tuf Duck Style Base Loaded 1/2 Wave Antenna - 450 Mhz UHF TNC.

And no mention of "BNC" only TNC.

Can you send the link to the website you are talking about?

Ahh! I think I see - I looked on the Arcadian website and think I found the actual antenna you are referring to. Different model number than the one you posted which is why we were confused: RHWA-450-SBM: Scanner Antenna for Portable Hand-Held Police Fire EMS & NASCAR. Hi-Performance, Long Range For UHF & VHF with BNC.

TNC version is RHWA-450-STM.

BNC version is RHWA-450-SBM.

Yes, according to the description for this model it does use a BNC. But, again, maybe something is wrong with the BNC on the one you got that is causing it not to be able to twist on all the way? If so, I would send it back and try and get a replacement.

ANd the TNC to BNC adapter won't help you if that is the case, sorry. Since you already purchased it then I guess you could either return it or keep it for possible future use. Adapters are always useful sometime down the road.

-Mike

daggit

Thanks all. I just had to really bear down and twist the connection. Was super tight. Thanks again. I think I was able to cancel my Amazon order. Again this antenna is fantastic for VHF and UHF.

DJ11DLN

Some BNC connectors don't like the rubber cover for the earphone jack, which is retained by a ring around the antenna connector. Maybe try removing it and see if it locks on without undue force?

Status
Not open for further replies.