• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question on "short range" for GMRS

Deputy276

I keep hearing this chant "the GMRS was set up for short range communication". Yet I haven't found a definitive answer to the question of "what is short range". Some say it's for across the street. Some say across the USA. I searched all over Google using different ways to ask the question, but got no answer. So there seems to be no really defined explanation for "short range use". Has anyone found anything that states from the FCC what they LEGALLY say is "short range" in actual distance? Feet? Yards? Miles?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You are not going to find a milage that the radio is permitted to cover.

What you'll find:
Limitation of transmitter power output (50 watts maximum on the primary channels)
Antenna height limitations.
Prohibition against linking repeaters over the internet.

GMRS is not supposed to be an extension of amateur radio. It's not supposed to have high power/high gain antennas/high above ground level antennas. It can use repeaters.

Generally it's the FCC trying to make users understand that channels are shared with other users, channels must be shared, and large wide area coverage systems are not part of the plan for GMRS.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Each time I drove across the USA it took several days. When I drive to the store across town, it takes less than an hour. This limited distance provides for me to communicate with my immediate family as well as my friend who is also licensed for GMRS and lives in town. Twenty five miles, less than an hour drive, is quite generous as a short distance.

My friend and I also have an amateur radio license. This allows us to use high power repeaters that use high gain antennas. Some of the amateur radio repeaters we use are linked providing coverage around the world.

GMRS = Short distance 1-25 miles
Amateur = Across the USA, around the world and even satellites in space.

Obtaining the appropriate license is the solution. Fortunately, there is not an age restriction for testing and receiving an amateur license. Additionally, my girlfriend can use my amateur radio even though she is not licensed, as long as I am also there at the control station.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I routinely talk approx. 50 miles to a repeater during the day, and sometimes in the evening without much problem.

Back in the early 2000's, I had access to a very high level repeater along with my own PL tone.
I had no issues talking to family members 100 miles away. No linking, just one good repeater at an excellent high site.

RFI-EMI-GUY

There is absolutely no prohibition on range in the personal radio services, CB, FRS or GMRS. There used to be, 250 miles for CB but that seems to have been stricken from rules. The FCC webpage only sets expectations of range. A couple kids in state of Washington saved a hiker with broken leg, some 80 miles away with FRS radios. If you talk 100 miles on your GMRS radios between mountaintops, you have broken no rules. A UHF ham radio with same wattage as GMRS has been routinely used earth to ISS and vice versa.

RFI-EMI-GUY

For some reason, the FCC has for years labeled Gmrs as a Short range personal radio service with little clarification .
If they touted the fact that GMRS supports 50 watt radios and repeaters, with unconstrained ERP and with antenna heights likewise constrained only by FAA guidelines, it would annoy the LMR commercial vendors. Note that Motorola has not produced any decent Part 95 GMRS radios for decades (An exception being Systems Saber are part 95 certified, undoubtedly a rogue move by some engineer doing the certification process)