BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Question on the display

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Due to the purchase of a new vehicle and as of yet not finding a good way to mount my 536, I am considering selling the 536 to purchase a 436.

Is there a way to change the display like the 536 as far as info? It just seems to busy for me and the lines that separate the info, in my opinion, make it worse. Can the display on the 4 match what the display on the 5 looks like as far as info?

jdm911

The only option you have for screen settings is whether or not you want to display Radio IDs. Having come from 536 to 436 I too had reservations about the screen set up. While, like others, I am hopeful for some changes in the future as far as bolder fonts but, for the most part, I am fine with the display after having the 436 for a couple of months. You get adjusted to it well and I would suggest that you will feel the same way. Put a screen protector on the radio asap though, way too easy to scratch.

troymail

Silent Key
For what it's worth, I have a 536 and it is sitting in my den being ignored. I use the 436 just like my PSR800 in my vehicle. The only advantage I've seen to the 536 over the 436 is that it seems like the buttons are easier to push (but they still are stubborn to react on both radios under certain conditions).

Given the 436's big display, it might make sense to try and display as much as possible like it does. However, most of what is on the screen is very tiny and hard to see. It really needs to have more options on what can be displayed to allow for larger text. There should also be options added to allow for on demand, temporary display of information (like what systems and departments are active) that would then revert back to the larger text display.

I second the screen protector comment - I have a couple of nicks in the display already (and I'm very careful with my radios).

troymail

Silent Key
Maybe not different but even with the big display on the 436, the fonts are smaller - and there are several different sizes all at the same time for different data/info along with 4 lines that separate the sections of the information. Some of the info is really "squeezed" in there.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Maybe not different but even with the big display on the 436, the fonts are smaller - and there are several different sizes all at the same time for different data/info along with 4 lines that separate the sections of the information. Some of the info is really "squeezed" in there.

I think it would be better if those lines were not there. Thanks for the info.

SCPD

QRT
Given the 436's big display, it might make sense to try and display as much as possible like it does. However, most of what is on the screen is very tiny and hard to see. It really needs to have more options on what can be displayed to allow for larger text. There should also be options added to allow for on demand, temporary display of information (like what systems and departments are active) that would then revert back to the larger text display.

I second the screen protector comment - I have a couple of nicks in the display already (and I'm very careful with my radios).

You noticed ? This is one of my biggest issues with this scanner .. the massive waste of space by making the each of the top 3 items consuming so much of the screen .. and SQUEEZING the bottom data into the bottom so it is almost unreadable.

The screen .. I am going to put Ghost Armor on mine within days, it is $25 but it is a worthwhile purchase to protect this rather expensive scanner.

There are cheaper options .. but I hope that in time Uniden fixes the screen issues and gives us more ability to modify the sections as we would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.