Question on the RWC, DPS, Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bustergrn

Hello gang,

I've recently relocated back to Phoenix from Tulsa. Tulsa area has implemented a P25 Digital Moto II Trunked system but is still simulcasting their Analog Trunked system so I've not upgraded my listening units to digital. I've found several on Ebay that fit in my budget. Could you fine folks tell me if a Pro-106 would allow me to listen to the following agencies...

Phx PD/Fire
Scottsdale PD/Fire
DPS

Those are the most important for me since I live and work in this general area. Other agencies would be great but I'm mostly looking for the cheapest option for these agencies.

Thanks for the input/help.

Scott

Last edited:

Bustergrn

After reading the Wiki for the RWC, it looks like the PRO-106 is a viable option for this system. Feel free to delete this thread.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
The 106 is ok but you will have issues with simulcast and i think rwc may be fue for an upgrade to phase 2 in the next few years.
As with azwin is also phase 1 and 2 ( from understanding)and mcso is phase 2 so that 106 may not be the best option imho.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

KB7MIB

Phase II systems will become the norm within the next few years. You're going to want a Phase II capable scanner in order to be "future proof", at least for the next few years.

And you may find, as many of us have, that you're going to have multi-path interference issues, due to the simulcast system that the RWC utilizes. A base scanner, and a directional antenna, may be what you need in order to listen to Phoenix PD, Scottsdale PD, and the Phoenix Regional Fire Dispatch Center TG's on the RWC.
The analog VHF Phoenix FD channels, and the DPS analog UHF channels, as well as their TG's on the YRCS (which isn't a simulcast system) will be much more easily monitorable.

Now, you may luck out, if you're only interested in Phoenix PD's Black Mtn precinct, and Scottsdale PD's North area, as both of them can be monitored via the Thompson Peak IR site of the RWC, without multi-path issues.
But, if you want any other areas of Phoenix or Scottsdale, it may be difficult.

John
Peoria

Bustergrn

Hey John, thanks for the reply as well as the others.

I found a cheap BCD396XT (the unit must be mobile). Programmed with FreeSCAN from a RR export with the sites I am closest to. Sitting at 7th St and Union Hills, I get next to nothing. Just a blurb of traffic every so often. Obvious simulcast issue. I haven't taken it mobile yet but I am expecting the same outcome. I spend my days troubleshooting interference in the LTE/AWS/PCS bands as a wireless technician. I guess I'll work some overtime to pay for a better receiver.

I did notice the receiver I purchased has older firmware. There are a couple builds available that are rumored to help with simulcast issues. I downloaded the updater from Uniden and attempted to upgrade it but I assume the updater is stuck in it's oxen-laden wagon and wants a true serial connection instead of a serial-to-usb. I'll see if I can dig out an old laptop and try it that way. Funny, I recall using serial-to-usb on network hardware as far back as 2010 without issue. Did Uniden get stuck in the early 2000's?

I'm open to any other ideas but I've got a pretty clear picture of the problem.

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.